funtoo forums
digifuzzy

How to handle CatPkg new versioning scheme

Question

media-gfx/plantuml is java-based software that enables text-based UML diagram generation (similar in nature to graphviz but focused on UML).

Latest available in tree is version 8046 (or July 2016). Newer versions(v1.2019.9) are available and tweaking ebuild to build this package with latest software works well.

However, portage becomes an issue. Using the newer ebuild as plantuml-1.2019.1 looks to portage as a "downgrade". Short-term fix is to mask package earlier versions (i.e. >=media-gfx/plantuml-8046).

How to best to handle definitively change in versioning scheme?

3 answers to this question

14 hours ago, bcowan said:

We used to let portage handle these moves transparently using profiles/updates. I don't know if that's still the case.

Doing an emerge of a package marked "8046" to "1.2019.9" is seen by emerge as a downgrade. I wasn't sure of the "practical", "portage" way to handle or otherwise convince portage to ignore of consider a revision regex pattern to be less than current. I had to throw the question out to the studio audience.

I would either remove the old version or rename it, so that it fits into the new versioning scheme.

If I see that correctly, it seems to me that the new scheme is something like <main version>.<year>.<yearly release number>

With 8046 the 12th release for 2016 that would be 1.2016.12 or 0.2016.12 in the new scheme, depending on the real meaning of the first digit. Packages that may depend on plantuml may need to be looked at but that has to be done anyhow, to make sure that the new scheme doesn't lead to problems.