Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Can't emerge php - sandbox violation

uudruid74

Question

OK - I went to change a few USE flags (turning off some stuff I don't need like LDAP), and PHP won't emerge.  Its the same version.  I don't know how I broke it :/  The errors appear to be access-denied errors to /sys/fs/cgroup

config.status: creating ext/phar/phar.1
config.status: creating ext/phar/phar.phar.1
config.status: creating main/php_config.h
config.status: executing libtool commands
config.status: executing default commands
>>> Source configured.
 * --------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY ---------------------------
 * LOG FILE: "/var/log/sandbox/sandbox-17465.log"
VERSION 1.0
FORMAT: F - Function called
FORMAT: S - Access Status
FORMAT: P - Path as passed to function
FORMAT: A - Absolute Path (not canonical)
FORMAT: R - Canonical Path
FORMAT: C - Command Line

F: open_wr
S: deny
P: /sys/fs/cgroup/test.shm.27131JlCbSd
A: /sys/fs/cgroup/test.shm.27131JlCbSd
R: /sys/fs/cgroup/test.shm.27131JlCbSd
C: ./conftest

F: open_wr
S: deny
P: /sys/fs/cgroup/test.shm.104439yZW3n
A: /sys/fs/cgroup/test.shm.104439yZW3n
R: /sys/fs/cgroup/test.shm.104439yZW3n
C: ./conftest
 * --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>> Failed to emerge dev-lang/php-5.5.18, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.5.18/temp/build.log'

8 answers to this question

I installed everything that way without problems.  Not realizing that the defaults for quickpkg don't save config files ... but using the packages in an emerge will write blank ones over my /etc files ... I have a nicely upgraded system, but once the emerge stopped, its all broken.  I've done the best I can to repair my /etc files, but something is stopping this package from installing.  I did try setting /bin/sh to bash just to be sure that wouldn't fix it.

No dice.  Any other ideas and what it could be?

I only run php on my ARM devices and it is a real pain there, especially because the software needing it has lots of arcane use flags needed.  Actually, I've stopped using that software and just haven't bothered uninstalling php, will get back to it someday, got it masked back to what is installed.  Anyhow the point is, I found, at least on that platform, it's very sensitive to which use flags are used, and with some enabled it fails install every time.  It's especially painful with a slow compiling ARM device.  I didn't get very depthful into understanding the problems because I was on the fence about that software anyhow, that was the tipping point.

I wish it was just a USE flag.  I used equery to find out what the currently installed php USE flags were.  I tried emerging it with the original flags (adding them to package.use) and it still fails with the sandbox violation.  I could keep this setting in there so that the system doesn't try to recompile it, but ... 1 - I want to get rid of the dependencies for those flags, 2 - this tells me something is broken and I need to fix it before something else breaks.

In the meantime, I have no idea what to do about this.  I don't understand why php is looking at the cgroup stuff or why portage blocked it from doing so.  Surely configure scripts are allowed to look into /sys!  At least ... it worked before.  I'm recompiling everything hoping that something will reinstall that fixes it.

I need PHP for cacti :)

The sandbox violation went away!!!

But, it still fails ... but the log looks clean.  Look:

Emerge:

checking whether to build static libraries... yes
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -E
config.status: creating ext/phar/phar.1
config.status: creating ext/phar/phar.phar.1
config.status: creating main/php_config.h
config.status: executing libtool commands
config.status: executing default commands
>>> Source configured.

>>> Failed to emerge dev-lang/php-5.5.19, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/php-5.5.19/temp/build.log'

The log ends with "Source configured".

Yes, I have bash for /bin/sh ... its not the issue.  Pretty much the entire system has been rebuilt.  However, I found one thing in the log that looks suspect - what do you think?

ESC[33;01m*ESC[0m This package has a configure.in file which has long been deprecated.  Please
 ESC[33;01m*ESC[0m update it to use configure.ac instead as newer versions of autotools will die
 ESC[33;01m*ESC[0m when it finds this file.  See https://bugs.gentoo.org/426262 for details.
 ESC[32;01m*ESC[0m Running autoconf ...

So .. do I have to downgrade autotools, emerge php and then upgrade autotools again?!?

ok, we are finally figured that all packages failures were in ubuntu live cd chroot. In theory this shouldn't be a big problem but it's not recommended for  every package test that way. making a virtual machine is probably better test. In this particular problem, maybe ubuntu has some other permissions in /sys/fs compared to gentoo environment