Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

What did/do you guys do?

• Funtoo Linux Developer

Hi guys,

I'm currently studying to get a bachelor degree in computer science and I wonder what would be the best way to complete my studies afterward.

I think Funtoo Linux users, more than any other distro I know, share a common passion on understanding what's actually going on between the "high-level layer" of their OS and the hardware. That's why I think your experiences and advices would be more valuable to me than those I could get from another more generic computer science forum.

For now, courses are easy enough to allow me to spend my "non-uni-time" on a part-time job as web-developer. And I spend the most part of my left spare time refining my system configuration, developing automation/productivity tools and taking part in Funtoo development as much as I can.

I pretty sure after my studies I would work in more or less the same field as you do (ie. somehow dealing with the low-level layer of the software, or even the hardware). So I would like to know what kind of work you do/did, and how was your studies.

Especally I'm often asking these questions to myself:

• Should I work my courses to get very good marks instead of good/sufficiant marks, instead of spending time learning things I think more relevant to me on my own (eg. getting involved in an open source community such as Funtoo)?
  • Would it be a good idea to make a PhD if I feel I could?

Thank you in advance for your precious feedbacks about your experience.

do good in school, make sure your marks are excellent.  jobs in capitalist merica demand your report card kicks ass.  learn the subject material really well then write essays, and apply for honorary phd degrees.  get a BS then honorary phd...  that's my advice...  i cant do much more than associates because im full retard and good at failing.

When you're looking for your first "real" job they'll have three things to judge you on: your personality, what you have accomplished while in school, and how you did in school (your GPA).   Some people can accomplish so much that maybe they don't need to care a lot about their GPA.  Create a project that shows that you've got initiative, good ideas, and the ability to execute them and maybe a B or C average is good enough.  In the absence of that you will need a strong GPA to get serious consideration from the better companies.

My advice is to complete your BS and work a while before deciding whether to pursue an advanced degree.

• Funtoo Linux Developer

Thank you all for your answers.

Maybe I should have mentioned that I currently live in France, but plan to potentially move abroad (for studies or work).

In France, I've roughly heard (from what people say) that to get a job in France you are essentially judged on your degrees and the reputation of schools you attended. Apart from startups that rather look for "cheap beasts" that were not "school-compliant". On the other hand (still and above all from what I've heard in France), in the US, recruiters would rather judge you on what you actually did personally and you past jobs references.

Another interesting point is: Do you think your what you learnt during your last school years is capital for what you do now? Or do you think you would have come to useful things anyway at the moment you would have need it?

• 6 months later...

I probably shouldn't necrobump old threads, but school for me was mostly a waste of time.  I was more or less teaching the teachers and making more than them, so I quit.  Then again, I've been using computers since I was 3 or 4.  I could do basic BASIC in kindergarten.

My advice is to figure out what you are most passionate about and dive in deep.  You'll end up being amazingly good at it and someone is going to come along and need those skills.   Basically, find your niche.

My niche seems to be abandoned, half-finished projects :)   What do I do?   Here's one of the more fun jobs I worked at : 

I've been working about a year in IT, and I've already gotten some good contacts for work in other firms, and my grades aren't amazing, mostly mediocre and some good or great grades in anything with computers and a select few subjects. I'm not sure if I can give advice, because I'm not sure how things work in France. In Norway you get get a really well paid job even if you have no attended university. 

I guess, like everyone else is saying, find your little niche in computing and get very good at it.

My honest opinion about school is that a lot of the things you learn there is bullshit, even in university.  Nothing can really beat true learning that you do on your own. In less than a year, with a full time job I've managed to go from using Manjaro as a noob to using Funtoo and Gentoo kind of like a pro, but I'm not quite there yet. 

I've worked in IT for over 25 years - starting with AT&T when SysV init was really SysV init.  Now I'm an IT Manager for a non-profit University where we specialize in adult learners.

As for whether or not we teach "bullshit" - every person I've hired that has completed a degree after hire has become a better technical professional in the process.   That doesn't mean that everyone needs a degree to be a good technical professional, just that most are improved by obtaining one.