Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Any one notice? SysRescueCD now using 'Arch Linux'

rspartz

I happened to download the 6.0.0 version and it certainly looked 'weird' when it was booted. Like, where did this systemd stuff come from ??  No more Gentoo ???

This page shows the most important changes provided in each SystemRescueCd version. It only shows changes in the versions of the Linux kernel and relevant utilities. The full list of packages provides more details about the exact versions of all other packages.

• 6.0.0) 2019-02-02:

• System is now based on ArchLinux and built using archiso and its dependencies
    • Kernel and user space programs are now fully 64 bit (dropped 32bit support)
    • Boot options are the ones provided by new upstream rather than old version
    • Graphical environment based on xorg-1.20.3 and xfce-4.12
    • Implemented “setkmap=xx” option on the boot command line to setup keyboard
    • Updated kernel to Long-Term-Supported linux-4.19.19
    • Updated filesystem tools: e2fsprogs-1.44.5, xfsprogs-4.19.0, btrfs-progs-4.19.1
    • Updated disk tools: gparted-0.33.0, lvm2-2.02.183

I saw that on distro watch yesterday.  I don't think it will affect me much.  I started using the Devuan Ascii live CD to do my Funtoo installs.  It uses a Debian 4.9 kernel and supports UEFI.  If there is anything I need that isn't already installed it's just two apt commands away.  In fact the biggest problems are not really problems at all.  First /bin/sh points to /bin/dash and second I have to remember to type /usr/sbin/chroot at the correct point during the install.

• Members

My question is:

How did you manage to use Gentoo SysRescueCD garbage anyway? I have created my own livecd about 3 years ago, Funtoo Linux based because I could not use it on my client servers due to lack of kernel hardware support.SysRescueCD's Gentoo used old software, had a horrible graphical xfce4 environment, and was rarely updated. At most they updated Gentoo ebuilds.

I saw it two days ago. SysRescueCD until 5.3.2 is good so far for me bootstrapping Funtoo from stage3. It is annoying they moved to a Systemd-based distribution now. I will have a look at the Are31 LiveCD. As I do not need a window manager there is the question to me if it really needs to be 1,4GB in size. SysrescueCD 5.3.2 is just around 585 MB. A minimal console only version would be sufficient to me. Just enough to wget, tar and chroot for bootstrapping Funtoo.

42 minutes ago, eyesee said:

I saw it two days ago. SysRescueCD until 5.3.2 is good so far for me bootstrapping Funtoo from stage3. It is annoying they moved to a Systemd-based distribution now. I will have a look at the Are31 LiveCD. As I do not need a window manager there is the question to me if it really needs to be 1,4GB in size. SysrescueCD 5.3.2 is just around 585 MB. A minimal console only version would be sufficient to me. Just enough to wget, tar and chroot for bootstrapping Funtoo.

I really do recommend checking out the Devuan live CD.  It has a tool named refactra that will allow you to create a customized Devuan live iso.  If you truly want to create your own personal mini-distro you could even use the Devuan Simple Distro Kit (SDK).  Unless you are stuck with very limited bandwidth either option will give you a great deal of choice and perhaps help you create the perfect personalized tool kit.

I did some test runs regarding building a customized Funtoo live cd. The Devuan live-sdk looks nice and clean but it works only with zsh and I could not get it fully working. The Are31 live cd also looks promising and I gonna play around a bit more. Nice work done with that! Just wondering what a minimal sized live cd of that would be ?

Interestingly I stumbled upon another project (https://github.com/ivandavidov/minimal) which produces quite small live cds of around 10MB. It is limited by default to BusyBox, Dropbear, etc. Seems also to work in Docker. Perhaps it would make sense to customize something like this for a minimal footprint.