Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

nm-dispatcher does not allow to boot after world update

znavko

Question

Hello! Funtoo is so pretty useful and fast. I want you to help me to boot in graphic mode.

Here are the errors of xorg that I solved in next reply. And the other problem is  nm-dispatcher's timeout on boot.

After running `ego sync`, `emerge --sync`, `eix-update`, `emerge --avuND --with-bdeps=y --complete-graph=y --backtrack=30 --keep-going --verbose-conflicts --exclude "gentoo-sources firefox gimp openshot glibc perl pyrhon gcc" world `

and successful complete with some yellow lines in the end my Funtoo does not start XORG and lightdm.

After boot I see this https://itmag.es/8jZn
Pressing any key gives authorization. After authorization I cannot start lightdm and xorg:

# lightdm
** (lightdm:3599): WARNING **: Failed to get list of logind seats: GDBus.Error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.login1 was not provided by any .servce files

# startx
xauth: file /root/.serverauth.3572 does not exist

X.Org X Server 1.19.3
Release Date....
Current version of pixman: 0.34.0
...something about 'synclient tapbutton=1` wrong in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf
(EE)
Fatal server error: no screens found(EE)
Please also check the file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X serer: Connection refused
xinit: server error

# lspci -kv | grep VGA | nc termbin.com 9999
http://termbin.com/awwnc

# lsmod | nc termbin.com 9999
http://termbin.com/7po0

# dmesg > 111
# cat 111 | nc termbin.com 9999
http://termbin.com/eokt

What to do?

PS: I use debian-sources, not gentoo-sources. I copied and quickly run this line adding exceptions, did not see it has gentoo-sources atom.

Thank you. But not helped. The `rc-update delete NetworkManager` helps only.

Also I changed dm to LXDM, editing only one variable in /etc/conf.d/xdm: DISPLAY_MANAGER="lxdm". It run only once without nm-dispatcher's problem, but the second and further times the black screen appeared without any message while booting .

I've changed dm to Slim and it's working  ok. but sometimes the same blackscreen after authorization in sLIM. I solve this with deleting xdm and adding it to rc-upate again.

after I deleted dhcpcd - the same black screen after authorization in slim.

Do not know what to do. I am trying this

# emerge -avDuN net-misc/networkmanager

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB

!!! The following update has been skipped due to unsatisfied dependencies:

dev-python/requests:0

selected: dev-python/requests-2.13.0:0/0::python-kit, installed
  skipped: dev-python/requests-2.18.4:0/0::python-kit, ebuild scheduled for merge (see unsatisfied dependency below)

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=dev-python/certifi-2017.4.17[python_targets_pypy(-)?,python_targets_pypy3(-)?,python_targets_python2_7(-)?,python_targets_python3_4(-)?,python_targets_python3_5(-)?,python_targets_python3_6(-)?,-python_single_target_pypy(-),-python_single_target_pypy3(-),-python_single_target_python2_7(-),-python_single_target_python3_4(-),-python_single_target_python3_5(-),-python_single_target_python3_6(-)]".
(dependency required by "dev-python/requests-2.18.4::python-kit" [ebuild])

# emerge -avDuN --with-bdeps=y net-misc/networkmanager

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB

!!! The following update has been skipped due to unsatisfied dependencies:

dev-python/requests:0

selected: dev-python/requests-2.13.0:0/0::python-kit, installed
  skipped: dev-python/requests-2.18.4:0/0::python-kit, ebuild scheduled for merge (see unsatisfied dependency below)

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=dev-python/certifi-2017.4.17[python_targets_pypy(-)?,python_targets_pypy3(-)?,python_targets_python2_7(-)?,python_targets_python3_4(-)?,python_targets_python3_5(-)?,python_targets_python3_6(-)?,-python_single_target_pypy(-),-python_single_target_pypy3(-),-python_single_target_python2_7(-),-python_single_target_python3_4(-),-python_single_target_python3_5(-),-python_single_target_python3_6(-)]".
(dependency required by "dev-python/requests-2.18.4::python-kit" [ebuild])

Sorry. how this I have not solved never. What to do?

#  emerge -1uN networkmanager
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

Now it's working ok with SLIM. It boots ok, it does authorize and run lxde normally. it connects to wifi.

I only want more answers:

1. how to disable nm-dispatcher
  2. what is alternative for networkmanager with lxde applet
  3. what is dbus and how it works
  4. how to rearrange start of lxde and networkmanager
  5. how to see the reasons of black screen while boot and lxdm does not start
  6. also where to configure networkmanager
# pwd
/etc/NetworkManager

# ls -R
.:
conf.d  dispatcher.d  dnsmasq-shared.d  dnsmasq.d  system-connections

./conf.d:

./dispatcher.d:
10-openrc-status  no-wait.d  pre-down.d  pre-up.d

./dispatcher.d/no-wait.d:

./dispatcher.d/pre-down.d:

./dispatcher.d/pre-up.d:

./dnsmasq-shared.d:

./dnsmasq.d:

./system-connections:
internet

I tried this:

# emerge wicd
...it installed wicd and 5 packages more (dependencies...

# rc-update delete NetworkManager
# rc-update add wicd
# reboot

system booted normally, i got lxde. i opened wicd gui from lxde applet button. it did not see the network, wifi was in status enabled. i disabled. when click 'enable wireless' it did not do anything. in few seconds wicd has seen network as anonymous. after 15 seconds it got its name. i typed pass and press button to connect. it connected but n internet. and the button 'connect' rest same (did not changed to 'disconnect'). I added networkmanager to rc-update and rebooted.

rebooted. after authorization in slim - black screen. I understood only one: xdm does not run after I ad networkmanager to rc-update. I deleted xdm from rc-update and added it again. reboot was normal, I authorized in slim and lxde run. wifi was connected with networkmanager automatically. but wicd gave messages that it cannot connect to d-bus. I unmerged wicd, but only 1 package was deleted (not 6 as were merged).

I do not know how many bugs I see and how to report all of them.

1. wicd cannot connect to dbus
2. xdm does not start when I add NetworkManager to rc-update after it like this: 'rc-update add NetworkManager'

I cannot connect to wifi with wpa_supplicant never: https://www.linux.org.ru/forum/linux-install/13595194

I do not know how to describe my problem on bugs.funtoo.org

also do not know is it necessary to write 'default' when add service to rc-update?

I had the same issue on Gentoo: also boot stoped  on line `nm-dispatcher: req:3 'hostname': start running ordered scripts...`

Yesterday resolved. I installed sysklogd:

emerge sysklogd
rc-update add sysklogd default

After this all boot Ok, except NetworkManager - it does not start. I tried to find where it added to autoboot and didnot found.

So, i uncommened in /etc/conf.d/netmount :

rc_need="NetworkManager"

And all works well!

As debug used links: https://sparkylinux.org/forum/index.php?topic=4018.0 - to find that lightdm can output errors to syslog.

Also: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=852469 - i have the same kernel (4.9).

My versions:

~ $ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 4.9.95-gentoo #4 SMP Sun May 27 00:49:37 -00 2018 x86_64

X.Org X Server 1.19.5
Release Date: 2017-10-12

NetworkManager --version

syslogd -v
syslogd 1.5.1

lightdm -v
lightdm 1.18.3

On 03.01.2018 at 6:15 PM, znavko said:
On 13.09.2018 at 8:58 AM, angryeco said:

I had the same issue on Gentoo: also boot stoped  on line `nm-dispatcher: req:3 'hostname': start running ordered scripts...`

Yesterday resolved. I installed sysklogd:

emerge sysklogd
rc-update add sysklogd default

After this all boot Ok, except NetworkManager - it does not start. I tried to find where it added to autoboot and didnot found.

So, i uncommened in /etc/conf.d/netmount :

rc_need="NetworkManager"

And all works well!

As debug used links: https://sparkylinux.org/forum/index.php?topic=4018.0 - to find that lightdm can output errors to syslog.

Also: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=852469 - i have the same kernel (4.9).

My versions:

sorry.No, after reboot to Windows and boot - all bad again. Trouble that Xsession cant start from root-user. I changed to common-user and got dbus-errors that i have no enough rights. Dont know how to fix( Disabled Networkmanager in /etc/netmount