Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Getting eix to work with kits

dkg

Question

I'm confused what I need to do to get eix to work on a current funtoo system.  People say it should work.  There's an old forum thread that talks about it, but nothing in the thread has helped with my issues.  Worse, I am getting different results on different systems (but never the right results).  Problem one, I get warnings like this...

[root@chopin portage]# eix eix                                                                            
warning: ignoring parent core-kit:funtoo/1.0/linux-gnu/arch/x86-64bit of file /etc/portage/make.profile/parent
warning: ignoring parent core-kit:funtoo/1.0/linux-gnu/build/current of file /etc/portage/make.profile/parent
warning: ignoring parent core-kit:funtoo/1.0/linux-gnu/arch/x86-64bit/subarch/corei7 of file /etc/portage/make.profile/parent
warning: ignoring parent core-kit:funtoo/1.0/linux-gnu/flavor/desktop of file /etc/portage/make.profile/parent
warning: ignoring parent core-kit:funtoo/1.0/linux-gnu/mix-ins/lxqt of file /etc/portage/make.profile/parent
warning: ignoring parent core-kit:funtoo/1.0/linux-gnu/mix-ins/no-systemd of file /etc/portage/make.profile/parent
warning: ignoring parent core-kit:funtoo/1.0/linux-gnu/mix-ins/kde-plasma-5 of file /etc/portage/make.profile/parent

Then notice the results on this system...

[?] app-portage/eix                                                                                     
     Available versions:  0.32.4 ~0.32.5 ~0.32.5-r1 ~0.32.9 {debug doc linguas_de linguas_ru nls sqlite}   
     Installed versions:  0.32.9-r1[?](02:00:06 PM 10/19/2017)(-debug -doc -linguas_de -linguas_ru -nls -sqlite)
     Homepage:            https://github.com/vaeth/eix/                                                    
     Description:         Search and query ebuilds

The Available versions are outdated.  I believe what it is updating based on the old /usr/portage tree.  On another system where I removed /usr/portage, eix just always returns no results.  Running 'eix-update' or 'eix-sync -u' do not correct the situation.  In fact, if I remove /usr/portage, then it will complain about missing /usr/portage files...

[root@chopin portage]# eix-update                                                                                                                                                            
Reading Portage settings...
[... Warnings removed ...]
Building database (/var/cache/eix/portage.eix)...                                                           
cannot open /usr/portage/profiles/categories: No such file or directory                                           
[0] "" /usr/portage/ (cache: metadata-md5-or-flat)                                                                  
     Reading category 0|0 (100) EMPTY!                                                                        
Applying masks...                                                                                          
Calculating hash tables...                                                                                
Writing database file /var/cache/eix/portage.eix...                                                        
Database contains 0 packages in 0 categories

On another system, eix simply returns old results, but I may have done something to nuke it's cache.  I'm not sure.  I'm using default branches for all kits on these systems.  One system does have a local overlay, but I don't think that's the problem.  What else do I need to do to get eix working?

10 hours ago, cardinal said:

This was very helpful.  Your output...

open("/etc/portage/repos.conf/", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_LARGEFILE|O_DIRECTORY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3

My output...

open("/etc/portage/repos.conf/", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_DIRECTORY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)

It turns out that /etc/portage/repos.conf/ is owned by root:root.  Presumably, eix is using the portage user, and in combination with my default umask=077, it did not have permission.  It's not a problem for /var/git/meta-repo/ because it is owned by portage:portage.  I had adjusted the permissions of /var/git/meta-repo/ and one point, but never touched /etc/portage/repos.conf/.  Occasionally, umask=077 does lead to some oddities.

I have it working now.

Thank you.