Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Aboui new portage with "kits".

Sandro

Question

with the introduction of kits, Funtoo has become unusable; too much time is spent on the installation & optimizations".

I honestly think that this new "strategy / policy" is something very complex to handle for a medium user.

forgive me ..... I do not want to offend anyone. : |

Also .... how will it be possible to know if there is a upgrade to a particular kit?

Excuseme please :(

5 answers to this question

Are you asking how would you know if there's a new prime branch of a kit?  I think at the moment that's going to have to be user driven, you *want* to use a certain version and so you'll check if there's a prime kit for it.  Otherwise, if you stick to default you'll just roll with funtoo whenever it changes.

It might also be a good idea for ego to check /etc/ego.conf for obsolete pinned kits, so the user can take action to update.  Not sure if that's a feature (or planned) yet, but I don't think there's many new prime branches yet anyways.  The only one I've looked at so far is python-3.6.

About "mqaster i've made a little experiment;

I can set in /ettc/ego.conf for example xorg-kit = master withouth having to specify the version :)

So this trouble i think is solved :)

The topic is here :)

Think the transition has been more difficult and piecemeal than would be ideal.  I think once the transition is complete and all the tools are in place Funtoo has the potential to be a much better distro for the average user than it has been.  Kits have the potential to reduce the number of breaking changes that get through to users.

Funtoo is undoubtedly Super-Genius ....
I am convinced that .... in theory it can be the absolute novelty in the computer field.
Sorry if I complained; only that not always for some (including me) can understand things "on the fly".

Thanks for your thought :)

Are you asking how would you know if there's a new prime branch of a kit?  I think at the moment that's going to have to be user driven, you *want* to use a certain version and so you'll check if there's a prime kit for it.  Otherwise, if you stick to default you'll just roll with funtoo whenever it changes.

It might also be a good idea for ego to check /etc/ego.conf for obsolete pinned kits, so the user can take action to update.  Not sure if that's a feature (or planned) yet, but I don't think there's many new prime branches yet anyways.  The only one I've looked at so far is python-3.6.