Forums in Read-Only Mode - Please use Reddit ×

Funtoo Continues in "Hobby Mode"

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

I've decided to keep Funtoo Linux going in a limited capacity.

Borrowing a phrase from Cameron Kaiser, developer of TenFourFox (a Firefox fork for PowerPC Macs) Funtoo Linux will be entering "Hobby Mode". Here is what that means:

Funtoo Linux will continue as a personal project of mine, maintained for myself. You will still be able to ego sync and get periodic updates. You can still use it if you want to. I use Funtoo in various capacities personally so I might as well allow others to continue to use it too, if they want.

Community development resources -- bug tracker and community code repositories will remain offline. Forums and wiki will be moved to read-only mode. Funtoo logins will go away at some point. Discord will continue to be used to some degree, but please move all community discussion to Reddit for self-support, not Discord. That's where you can ask other Funtoo Linux users for help going forward.

If you would like to keep a Funtoo container, please contact me at drobbins@funtoo.org and I will make arrangements to keep yours going. These were previously going away at the end of this month. I will be keeping sufficient infrastructure online to maintain some container hosting.

If you want a new Funtoo container, contact me to get on a waiting list for some new infrastructure I am working on. Funds will be used to support Oleg  to work on these future projects that will be available to the public at some point. If you care about the fate of Funtoo and community Open Source projects (and Oleg), this is a great way to demonstrate support.

If you are interested in making a major, meaningful technical contribution to Funtoo Linux, please contact me privately via email to discuss it. I am always open to co-creation and supporting collaboration from serious contributors, but can't spend the time and energy to keep the doors open for this 24/7 as there is significant overhead in running a community project.

My YouTube Channel may receive some content in the relatively near future, so if you are interested in following future developments or getting more detail on my views on Open Source, please follow me there.

The latest changes from harvester/2024-07 have just been merged into official Funtoo and the tree was updated today, with continued periodic updates to follow about once a week or so.