Forums in Read-Only Mode - Please use Reddit ×

Newsletter banner

Can someone PLEASE remove the banner on each forum page for the SUMMER 2023 newsletter!?

It's unfortunately indicative how this forum is apparently regarded by Funtoo's Admin staff. Not everyone wants Discord. I strongly despise "social" media for profit mass personal data harvesting platforms. If you don't pay, YOU are the currency  🙄

TIA!

• Funtoo Linux BDFL
3 hours ago, dutch-master said:

Can someone PLEASE remove the banner on each forum page for the SUMMER 2023 newsletter!?

It's unfortunately indicative how this forum is apparently regarded by Funtoo's Admin staff. Not everyone wants Discord. I strongly despise "social" media for profit mass personal data harvesting platforms. If you don't pay, YOU are the currency  🙄

TIA!

I think *I* am Funtoo's Admin staff. You seem to be under the impression that there is a large team of dedicated people who exist solely to maintain these free services for you and cater to your preferences. That is not the case. This is a volunteer project and everyone including myself has very limited time. I would like to challenge your apparent perceptions that there is an actual group of people whose job it is to make sure you are happy and satisfied with our infrastructure. It's not true and that is not the way a volunteer project works, unfortunately. (I wish this was how it was)

Maybe you can try to take things a little less personally and appreciate what we do have, and engage constructively to help improve our services rather than complain about them and cast negative judgement against, in this case, me.

There are plenty of other Linux distributions that don't use Discord, so if it's a deal-breaker for you, I encourage you to find another Linux distro that reflects your personal values. Discord can be run in-browser and it has full functionality, and is sandboxed by Chrome or whatever browser you use when run in this way. If Funtoo is important enough for you, maybe you will engage with our community to help us maintain our infrastructure and improve what we have to offer. The technologies like Discord are often chosen in large part because they offer a lot of features we need but do not require a lot of our time to use and maintain. If you are in a position to invest your time to offer a superior solution, then you are in a rare position indeed and we would be happy if you  would use this time to help the Funtoo community.

Consider the perspective change.