Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Cant install funtoo (several error messages)

kery

Question

Hi folks,

pretty new to funtoo. In general i am trying to solve all by my own, but now i got stuck in the very early stage of installing a funtoo system. I successfully installed one before reading this here: https://www.funtoo.org/Install/Introduction

But now it fails for a new system with reasons unknown to me. Steps are
- setup partitions on sda (sda1->ext2->/boot;sda2->swap;sda3->ext4->/)
-download the stage3 gnome into /mnt/funtoo, package is this one: https://build.funtoo.org/next/x86-64bit/intel64-westmere/2023-01-31/gnome-stage3-intel64-westmere-next-2023-01-31.tar.xz

- then dropping this (while in /mnt/funtoo) on terminal: fchroot /mnt/funtoo /bin/bash --login
- terminal still stays at "livecd /mnt/funtoo", not "fchroot #"
- running a "ego sync" succeeeds with 0 errors
- dropping a "emerge -auDN @world" starts fine, but stops after some work and complaining about that i need at least 5 GIB to continue

So, what i found out so far:
- inside the fchroot (pretty sure something here failed) running a "cat /etc/fstab" reveals a "overlay / overlay defaults 0 0". If i am right, i should see the sample fstab here instead
- "df -h /" says "overlay 1.8G 544M 1.3G 31%".
- "grub-install --target=i386-pc --no-floppy /dev/sda fails with "grub-install: error: failed to get path of 'overlay'"

What am i doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance for any help

K.

Edited by kery

6 answers to this question

34 minutes ago, kery said:

Hi folks,

So, what i found out so far:
- inside the fchroot (pretty sure something here failed) running a "cat /etc/fstab" reveals a "overlay / overlay defaults 0 0". If i am right, i should see the sample fstab here instead
- "df -h /" says "overlay 1.8G 544M 1.3G 31%".
- "grub-install --target=i386-pc --no-floppy /dev/sda fails with "grub-install: error: failed to get path of 'overlay'"

Try to specify a path to boot dir with --boot-directory option. Like this:

grub-install --target=i386-pc --no-floppy --boot-directory=/mnt/funtoo/boot/ /dev/sda

Look, to boot to your clean(base) funtoo system you don't need to do chroot or emerge/ego. Just:

- make partition
- make fs
- mount this partition
- unpack stage3 (cd /mnt; unxz -c ~/stage3-intel64-nehalem-1.4-release-std-2020-09-07.tar.xz | tar -x --numeric-owner --xattrs --xattrs-include='*' --acls )
- clear root passwd (delete "x" in /mnt/etc/passwd)
- install boot loader:

- without EFI:
   grub-install --target=i386-pc --boot-directory=/mnt/boot/ /dev/sdc
   - with EFI:
mkdir /mnt/boot/efi; mount /dev/sdc2 /mnt/boot/efi; grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --boot-directory=/mnt/boot/ --efi-directory=/mnt/boot/efi --removable

- write a simple /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg, like:

set timeout=2

menuentry 'Funtoo' {
        insmod gzio
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(hd0,msdos3)'
        echo    'Loading kernel...'
        linux   /boot/kernel-debian-sources-x86_64-4.8.15-1 root=/dev/sda3 ro
        echo    'Loading initial ramdisk...'
        initrd  /boot/initramfs-debian-sources-x86_64-4.8.15-1
}

- umount /mnt/boot/efi; umount /mnt;
- reboot to fresh OS
- login as root
- set new passwod for root with passwd program
- ego sync; epro mix-ins no-systemd; emerge -auND @world
- etc

The goal of these steps are to minimize actions in the installation environment and do most of them in the fresh Funtoo instance(this is simpler).

Edited by lego12239

I manually tried to chroot into the environment by running this series of commands from the Install Tutorial:

root # cd /mnt/funtoo
root # mount --rbind /proc proc
root # mount --rbind /sys sys
root # mount --rbind /dev dev
root # cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/funtoo/etc/
root # chroot . /bin/su --login

The last line "chroot . /bin/su --login" greets me with a "Illegal Instruction" 🤔
Possibly a executable with some unsupported opcode compiled into?

Edited by kery

Now did try a generic64 stage3 build and it works fine. Installation did succed without any problems. Well, i guess the build for the stage3 https://build.funtoo.org/next/x86-64bit/intel64-westmere/ really has some compiled binaries with instructions my cpu doesnt know. The P6200 is a westmere, at least it qualifies as one within the funtoo cpu database.

cpuid2cpuflags gives me this:

CPU_FLAGS_X86: mmx mmxext popcnt sse sse2 sse3 ssse3

Edited by kery

Manually set up the box as suggeted by lego12239

Starting from Grub (kernel and initramfs loaded successfully), leads to a kernel panik of sort "Atempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00000004". The exception is similar to this one here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54303119/kernel-panic-with-exitcode-0x00000004-after-init

As said before, the Generic64 gnome stage3 works fine!

Kinda frustrating 😕