Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Deja Dup 34.3 is old and doesn't compile

carlosv2

Question

Hi,

I recently installed Funtoo for the first time (also first time with a Gentoo-based distro) and I simply love it!

I'm now trying to install Deja Dup for backups and I found that the version I find with emerge is 34.3 (even after running `ego sync`):

$ emerge -s dejadup

[ Results for search key : dejadup ]
Searching...

*  app-backup/deja-dup
      Latest version available: 34.3
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of files: 687 KiB
      Homepage:      https://launchpad.net/deja-dup/
      Description:   Simple backup tool using duplicity back-end
      License:       GPL-3

[ Applications found : 1 ]

Taking a look at deja dup's repo it seems that this version is about 4 years old. I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't because it doesn't compile:

$ sudo emerge -a 

[ 40%] Generating zh_CN/backup-auto.page, zh_CN/backup-first.page, zh_CN/contribute.page, zh_CN/credits.page, zh_CN/index.page, zh_CN/license.page, zh_CN/prefs.page, zh_CN/restore-full.page, zh_CN/restore-lost.page, zh_CN/restore-revert.page, zh_CN/restore-worst-case.page, zh_CN/support.page
cd /var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/work/deja-dup-34.3/deja-dup/help && mkdir -p /var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/work/deja-dup-34.3_build/deja-dup/help/zh_CN
cd /var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/work/deja-dup-34.3/deja-dup/help && /usr/bin/msgfmt -o /var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/work/deja-dup-34.3_build/deja-dup/help/zh_CN/zh_CN.gmo zh_CN/zh_CN.po
cd /var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/work/deja-dup-34.3/deja-dup/help && /usr/bin/itstool -m /var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/work/deja-dup-34.3_build/deja-dup/help/zh_CN/zh_CN.gmo -o /var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/work/deja-dup-34.3_build/deja-dup/help/zh_CN C/backup-auto.page C/backup-first.page C/contribute.page C/credits.page C/index.page C/license.page C/prefs.page C/restore-full.page C/restore-lost.page C/restore-revert.page C/restore-worst-case.page C/support.page
[ 41%] Generating zh_TW/backup-auto.page, zh_TW/backup-first.page, zh_TW/contribute.page, zh_TW/credits.page, zh_TW/index.page, zh_TW/license.page, zh_TW/prefs.page, zh_TW/restore-full.page, zh_TW/restore-lost.page, zh_TW/restore-revert.page, zh_TW/restore-worst-case.page, zh_TW/support.page
cd /var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/work/deja-dup-34.3/deja-dup/help && mkdir -p /var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/work/deja-dup-34.3_build/deja-dup/help/zh_TW
cd /var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/work/deja-dup-34.3/deja-dup/help && /usr/bin/msgfmt -o /var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/work/deja-dup-34.3_build/deja-dup/help/zh_TW/zh_TW.gmo zh_TW/zh_TW.po
cd /var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/work/deja-dup-34.3/deja-dup/help && /usr/bin/itstool -m /var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/work/deja-dup-34.3_build/deja-dup/help/zh_TW/zh_TW.gmo -o /var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/work/deja-dup-34.3_build/deja-dup/help/zh_TW C/backup-auto.page C/backup-first.page C/contribute.page C/credits.page C/index.page C/license.page C/prefs.page C/restore-full.page C/restore-lost.page C/restore-revert.page C/restore-worst-case.page C/support.page
make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/work/deja-dup-34.3_build'
[ 41%] Built target deja-dup-help
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/work/deja-dup-34.3_build'
make: *** [Makefile:182: all] Error 2
 * ERROR: app-backup/deja-dup-34.3::nokit failed (compile phase):
 *   emake failed
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=app-backup/deja-dup-34.3::nokit'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=app-backup/deja-dup-34.3::nokit'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/work/deja-dup-34.3_build'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/work/deja-dup-34.3'

>>> Failed to emerge app-backup/deja-dup-34.3, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/temp/build.log'

* Messages for package app-backup/duplicity-0.7.17:

* Duplicity has many optional dependencies to support various backends.
 * Currently it's up to you to install them as necessary.

* Messages for package app-backup/deja-dup-34.3:

* ERROR: app-backup/deja-dup-34.3::nokit failed (compile phase):
 *   emake failed
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=app-backup/deja-dup-34.3::nokit'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=app-backup/deja-dup-34.3::nokit'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/work/deja-dup-34.3_build'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/app-backup/deja-dup-34.3/work/deja-dup-34.3'

* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.

I've found this thread and this other thread both pointing at a potential patch in here but the link seems broken.

Trying to get more help for this problem I stumbled upon the gentoo's page for this package which states that version 42.7 is available. Until now, I assumed that Funtoo was pulling gentoo ebuild on a daily basis so I checked `emerge --info` and found that my GENTOO_MIRRORS variable is configured as `https://fastpull-us.funtoo.org` which return a 404 when I try to access it.

Do I have a problem with my Funtoo configuration (I configured it according to the installation instructions but might have done something wrong)? If not, how come I can't access newer versions of Deja Dup? Do you guys know if the patch for version 34.3 is available somewhere?

Thank you very much!

1 answer to this question