Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

KDE Defaulting to Software Renderer

faultyuseflag

Question

Hello, everyone, I'm a new convert to Funtoo,

I've been playing around with the distribution for the last three weeks, and I think I have almost everything to how I like it. The problem is that it seems that KDE is not installed correctly. I followed the Funtoo Wiki for installing it, and it worked very well upon first booting in after install with the "sddm" command as root. I then powered down, and then booted up again, to find that KDE is defaulting to a software renderer, Plasma seems to not be working correctly, and PulseAudio is not detecting my sound cards anymore. All of this worked before the reboot.

Please, let me know what log files I should be looking at in order to correct this. glxinfo shows direct rendering is enabled, glxgears displays properly, nVidia drivers are selected in eselect. Also, when booting up SDDM from TTY1, the screen will flicker, default back to TTY1, and then I will have to manually switch back to 7 with ctrl-alt-F7 in order to see the session. I'm beginning to think that there might be a bus issue in this installation preventing certain modules from communicating with each other.

Any advice on where to dig up more information or what to do would be appreciated!

Regards,

Funtoo Newb

1 answer to this question

I answered my own question. In playing around, I had skipped some sections about setting up XDM and SDDM for OpenRC. Going back to the guide and following that, and filling in the blanks with the Gentoo documentation of SDDM with OpenRC helped. (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SDDM )

Sometimes, it pays to pay close attention to the Wikis!