Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Laptop dual GPU extend displays

pfreis

Question

I have a laptop with dual GPU (Intel UHD 630 + nvidia GeForce 1050ti). On my work, I need to use an external display via HDMI port, but I couldn't make it work as a extended display from my laptop. I can use one per time, but not both at same time. Is there a way to use both at same time, like extended displays? The only one Linux distro that works this way on my hardware is PopOS, but I'd like a better distro. I liked Funtoo, and I'd like to use it in my work, but without extended displays, it's impossible.

6 answers to this question

Well...

I've found nothing that works for me...Considering this post from Daniel Robbin ( https://www.funtoo.org/Make.conf/VIDEO_CARDS/Daniel's_Simple_Hybrid_Graphics ), and even Gentoo instructions for Optimus and Bumblebee, I guess it's impossible to use both graphics cards at same time. I'll close the topic and keep searching a way to make it work. For now, thank you very much for the attention, @jhan !

I've found the problem: My motherboard. I don't have the option to choose between the graphics cards, and the nvidia card is the first one. For Bumblebee to work, the intel graphical card must be the first one. Following the Arch's Bumblebee tutorial, I realized this. Every time the bumblebeed service was started, the system froze. So, given this, it's impossible for me.