Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

pangox-compat with pango 1.44

paglop

Question

Hello, i don't emerge x11-libs/pangox-compat 0.0.2-r1 with the new x11-libs/pango-1.44.7

pangox.c: In function 'pango_x_font_class_init':
pangox.c:282:13: error: 'PangoFontClass' {aka 'struct _PangoFontClass'} has no member named 'find_shaper'

In last version pango-1.42.4, it's ok.

A problem with engrampa-1.22.1, just supress function  g_ptr_array_copy in src/glib-utils.c and declaration in src/glib-utils.h.

I dont know patch in emerge. Juste pause compil for suppressions. If some one tell me some url for patch. Thank you

I add vdpau in VIDEO_CARDS for mesa and vdpauinfo is ok, vlc use the card for decode.

3 answers to this question

Gentoo had an issue with this also.  Their solution was to freeze x11-libs/pango at 1.42.xx.  pango 1.44 was prompted by a security issue in 1.42.xx, but the fixes have been backported to 1.42.xx.  It's doubtful that a patch is forthcoming for pangox-compat because it is deprecated, indeed no fix is currently available, rather the packages that depend upon it hopefully will drop that dependency.  In my case the only package was celestia, which depends upon it indirectly due to a dependency on gtkglext which in turn depends upon pangox-compat.  Looking deeper I see that celestia-9999 has dropped that dependency, so I'll try fixing it that way or just do without until a better fix comes along.

If you absolutely, positively must have pangox-compat you can make it work (with a fair amount of work).  I did this before discovering all the above.  Not for the faint of heart, but here's the details.

Mask the pango-1.44.7 package:

/etc/portage/package.mask
=x11-libs/pango-1.44.7

Then grab the pango-1.42.4-r2 ebuild: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gentoo/gentoo/master/x11-libs/pango/pango-1.42.4-r2.ebuild

and put it in your local repo.

Then copy the following folders from meta-repo to your local repo:

app-text/gtkspell
dev-cpp/pangomm
dev-python/pygtk
gnome-base/libgnomecanvas
gnome-base/libgnomeui
gnome-base/librsvg
x11-libs/gtk+
x11-libs/vte

Then change the dependency on x11-libs/pango in the following files in your local repo to >x11-libs/pango-1.41.0:

gtkspell-3.0.10.ebuild
pangomm-2.42.0-r1.ebuild
pygtk-2.24.0-r7.ebuild
libgnomecanvas-2.30.3-r1.ebuild
libgnomeui-2.24.5-r2.ebuild
librsvg-2.46.3-r1.ebuild
gtk+-2.24.32-r1.ebuild
gtk+-3.24.12.ebuild
vte-0.58.2-r1.ebuild
emerge -C gtkspell pangomm pygtk libgnomecanvas libgnomeui librsvg gtk+ vte
emerge -av pango
emerge -av gtkspell pangomm pygtk libgnomecanvas libgnomeui librsvg gtk+ vte

You may not have all of the above packages, or you may have additional packages depending on pango-1.44.7, you'll have to play that by ear.

Almost anything else would be better, but if you must have it, that will work.

Edit: celestia-9999 worked!