Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

No access to wifi after updating debian-sources-lts

nigga-china

Question

Some time ago I emerged world updates and my kernel (debian-sources-lts) got updated too. After it, I did genkernel all and then ego boot update. Later I rebooted my notebook but I could not have access to wifi anymore. I realized that a different message is shown when I do login instead the normal messages from networkmanager. This message says "ModemManager[3346]: <info> Couldn't check support for device '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.2/0000:02:00.2' : not supported by any plugin".

I checked the modules of the kernel by doing make menuconfig and I saw that actually it has support to wifi, despite it I'm still without wifi access. To complete this unpleasant situation, I accidentally unmerged my old kernel (which wifi still worked), so right now I'm about 2 weeks without having access to internet on my notebook (because it has not entry to put a LAN cable).

In a previous topic I talked about this issue and a guy told me that it might occurs due to some modules that is not loaded at boot time, but I have no idea how to solve this problem. Now I'm using my computer that has Windows, and I'm not liking to use it after set up all my Linux environment on my notebook.  ;-;  I would be really grateful if somebody help me.  :'><3

6 answers to this question

On 9/6/2019 at 12:01 AM, nrc said:

Try booting from the System Rescue CD that you used to install Funtoo originally.  That image probably already has lshw installed.

Yeah! I like this idea.

To extend, here's what I use for "chroot" into a funtoo when using SysResCD:

Funtoo Rescue with SysResCD
---------------------------------------

- insert SysResCD and reboot PC
- verify partitions with fdisk -l /dev/sda or gparted
- assuming:
boot => sda1(ext2)
swap => sda2(swap)
root => sda3(ext4)

use open terminal prompt for remaining commands:
(NOTE: SysResCD terminal is ROOT!!!!)
(NOTE: SysResCD root prompt -> '%')
(NOTE: Funtoo root prompt -> '#')
=== activate swap partition
% swapon /dev/sda2
% mkdir -p /mnt/funtoo
=== mount root partition
% mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/funtoo
=== mount boot partition
% mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/funtoo/boot
% cd /mnt/funtoo
% mount -t proc none proc
% mount --rbind /sys sys # rebind
% mount --rbind /dev dev # rebind
% cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/funtoo/etc
=== link network resolv
=== set environment, terminal - start chroot in cwd using bash
=== flag -l (lower case L) Make bash act as if invoked as login shell
=== NOTE: now in chroot environment - working with mounted/to be rescued system
% env -i HOME=/root TERM=$TERM /bin/chroot . bash -l
% ping -c4 google.ca # we have network?
=== ...
=== proceed to fix
=== probably re-install kernal or other
=== emerge actions
=== ...
=== and we're done.
% exit # leave chroot environment
% cd # change cwd to root home
=== unmount lazy and recursive
% umount -lR /mnt/arch
% eject # remove cd
% reboot
=== process complete

Let's walk through this....

Need HW information. Do `emerge -a1 lshw`. We'll use the package executable to query stuff.

Execute `lshw -C network` will produce details about the ethernet devices in your computer (both wired and wireless).

From the output, we'll get insight about chipset. That'll be needed to determine if correct drivers are available/installed. (modprobe stuff we'll do later).

For my box:

# lshw -C network
  *-network                 
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
       vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.

A swath of networking devices utilize the RealTek chipset. This requires a binary blob that is available standalone or as part of linux-firmware. This may be missing for you.

If you have IRC, jump on and we can sort this out for you.

Stay strong...you're not alone.

10 hours ago, digifuzzy said:

Let's walk through this....

Need HW information. Do `emerge -a1 lshw`. We'll use the package executable to query stuff.

Execute `lshw -C network` will produce details about the ethernet devices in your computer (both wired and wireless).

From the output, we'll get insight about chipset. That'll be needed to determine if correct drivers are available/installed. (modprobe stuff we'll do later).

For my box:

# lshw -C network
  *-network                 
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
       vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.

A swath of networking devices utilize the RealTek chipset. This requires a binary blob that is available standalone or as part of linux-firmware. This may be missing for you.

If you have IRC, jump on and we can sort this out for you.

Stay strong...you're not alone.

Unfortunately I can not emerge lshw because I have no way to connect to internet (I'm using my computer wich has Windows installed and internet connection to ask for help in here). I think the best I can do at this moment is wait for Funtoo 1.4 and install it on my notebook. When I have done with that, I'll try to install liquorix kernel (by overlay) again (because the same wifi problems was occurred when I tried to install liquorix kernel) and I will try to do these steps you asked me for. I will also install an IRC client to chat with you and other guys from Funtoo comunity. However, thank you for trying to help me! :><333

About lshw -C network, it showed:

description: Wireless interface

product: AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter

vendor: Qualcomm Atheros

logical name: wlp3s0

And about using SystemRescueCD and updating @world: it worked. Thanks a lot to all you guys that helped me. :'><3333

Also I have to say that occured 2 emake fails when I did emerge -auDN @world. But seems that things are working fine. ^^