Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

1.4, nouveau and mesa issues

I'm testing the new 1.4. My test system is an older laptop, MSI GX720, core2duo P8400 with a nvidia GT9600M video card. I started with a blank disk, installed the minimal 1.3 system from the latest stage3 (core2 subarch) and from there proceeded to upgrade to 1.4 as per instructions.

I tried the nvidia driver first (gfxcard_nvidia) but it seems that there's no driver compatible with my video card. So then I switched to gfxcard_nouveau and I get an error emerging mesa-19.1.3. Everything else emerges fine but the last step, mesa, fails.

I'm attaching an archive of logs.

I think the issue is related to the following in build.log:

>>> Configuring source in /var/tmp/portage/media-libs/mesa-19.1.3-r1/work/mesa-19.1.3 ...
meson /var/tmp/portage/media-libs/mesa-19.1.3-r1/work/mesa-19.1.3 /var/tmp/portage/media-libs/mesa-19.1.3-r1/work/mesa-19.1.3-build --buildtype release -Db_ndebug=if-release --libdir lib64 --localstatedir /var/lib --sharedstatedir /usr/share/mesa-19.1.3 --prefix /usr --wrap-mode nodownload --prefix=/usr --libdir=lib64 -Dplatforms=x11,drm,surfaceless -Ddri3=false -Ddri-drivers=swrast,nouveau -Dgallium-drivers=gallium-nouveau -Dgallium-extra-hud=false -Dgallium-vdpau=auto -Dgallium-xvmc=auto -Dgallium-omx=disabled -Dgallium-va=auto -Dgallium-xa=auto -Dgallium-nine=false -Dgallium-opencl=disabled -Dvulkan-drivers= -Dshader-cache=auto -Dshared-glapi=true -Dgles1=auto -Dgles2=auto -Dopengl=true -Dgbm=auto -Dglx=auto -Degl=auto -Dglvnd=true -Dasm=true -Dglx-read-only-text=false -Dllvm=true -Dvalgrind=false -Dlibunwind=false -Dlmsensors=false -Dbuild-tests=false -Dselinux=false -Dosmesa=classic -Dosmesa-bits=8 -Dswr-arches= -Dtools=glsl,nir,nouveau -Dxlib-lease=auto

meson.build:21:0: [1;31mERROR:[0m Options "gallium-nouveau" are not in allowed choices: ", auto, kmsro, radeonsi, r300, r600, nouveau, freedreno, swrast, v3d, vc4, etnaviv, tegra, i915, svga, virgl, swr, panfrost, iris, lima"

mesaerror.tar.bz2

• Funtoo Linux BDFL

OK, thanks for testing and reporting this. I should be able to fix it. If you have some time, can you report an official bug on bugs.funtoo.org and then I will reference it in the commit that fixes this issue. Thanks.

Hmm, with the new fix in place mesa emerges successfully, however I still can't start a X server. The Xorg log says it can't find module "nouveau".

Nouveau is in fact compiled and installed in the usual kernel module tree, and loaded (it's listed with lsmod).