Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Setting up clamav to start/run in the background?

tbill

Question

Basic and desktop installs went fine; my problem is with the time it takes to get clamd and then freshclam up to speed.  I'm not sure I want to add clamd to the boot runlevel because I don't want to bring everything to a screeching halt there any more than I wanted everything to come to a screeching halt at the default runlevel.  It occurred to me to just have the os bring clamav up as a totally background ap after I've logged into the desktop, but I have NO idea how to go about setting that up....

2 answers to this question

To spring off of cbdougla's reponse, how about setting up a script that looks for your uptime and if it is greater than x then, check if clamav is running, if it is not then run your init script to start. Stuff that  script into root's cron and have it run every minute.

This may not be very helpful but you could create a script to run the appropriate systemctl or rc-service commands and then call that script from your .xsession file with an & at the end to put it in the background.

Or perhaps put it in the /etc/init.d/local file, also with an "&" at the end.  This would allow it to start on boot but it wouldn't delay the startup.  Maybe.  I'd need to try it myself.

If it were me and I didn't want it to start automatically, I would probably not want to to start from the .xsession either and would just opt to start it manually when I logged in.