Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

After build the kernel os starts only in text mode

synteejol

Question

I installed sys-kernel/gentoo-sources and build the kernel following these guide lines

https://www.funtoo.org/Building_a_Kernel_from_Source

I didn't use "No ebuild methods". 

When I finished and reboot I can only use funtoo in text mode.

I Also tried to build the kernel with genkernel but I got same issue.

Is not the first time I do this operation. On another machine I often use genkernel and all go fine.

19 answers to this question

Well, that really isn's an error message.  It just means that there is no domain set on your system.  It's nothing to worry about and would not keep you from loading into a Xorg GUI.  For more info on setting your hostname in Funtoo see:  https://www.funtoo.org/Hostname

Before we get to deep into this please post the output "ego profile show" and "emerge --info" and we will see if that gives us any clues.

Thank you for reply. I builded the kernel again with genkernel, using the same config, this time It works. Can't really understrand what the problem was. Now I can't use the mouse, but setting properly the config file the problem wil be solved. Next step Is installing Nvidia drivers. Fingers crossed. 

I rebuilt the kernel to fix mouse issue, this time it run in text mode again. I have another kernel that works fine. I post the output of "diff" command to show u the difference between the 2 kernels>

< # Linux/x86 4.9.168_p1-debian-sources-lts Kernel Configuration
---
> # Linux/x86 4.9.130-2 Kernel Configuration
1219d1218
< # CONFIG_BT_HCIUART_3WIRE is not set

they are almost the same. I really appreciate if someone can help me. thank you 

It could be that the modules required by your hardware are not loading.  You could try adding them to /etc/conf.d/modules or you could try editing /etc/genkernel.conf and having genkernel add all of the modules to the initramfs.  By the way, did you install the linux-firmware package?  If I remember correctly newer kernel versions do not include firmware so the firmware package might be mandatory.

In your /etc/portage/make.conf on the VIDEO_CARDS line change "intel i 965 nvidia" to "intel i965" and then run "epro mix-ins gfxcard-nvidia" and then do "emerge -vauND @world" and finally edit /etc/conf.d/modules and add the following to you modules= line:

i915 nvidia nvidia_modeset nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm

After that you can reboot and try it again.  Just as a side note, setting the the nvidia USE flag with epro might not be required, but it works for me.  Right now my desktop CPU is a Haswell i7 but I don't use the integrated graphics.  I just use the fancy RTX 2070 I bought a few months ago.  Since you have laptop that can switch between GPUs this is about as far I can help you.  I have never had one to play with so I don't know how to set them up to switch.  This should at least get all of the modules loaded and all of the Xorg drivers sorted for you.

thank u I had not noticed that space between "i" and "965". When I do "epro mix-ins gfxcard-nvidia" it gives me an error:

!!! The ebuild selected to satisfy "dev-libs/libclc" has unmet requirements.
- dev-libs/libclc-0.2.0_pre20180915::dev-kit USE="" VIDEO_CARDS="-nvidia -r600 -radeonsi"

The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
    any-of ( video_cards_nvidia video_cards_r600 video_cards_radeonsi )

Should I add "-nvidia" to my make.conf?

I was wrong about removing the nvidia entry from your VIDEO_CARDS line.  I am sorry I thought that make.conf would compliment the profile and not over ride it. 

For your host name display at login:  This is controlled by the file /etc/issue and it's contents are parsed by agetty when it creates the terminal at login.  Check the man page for agetty to find out what the codes in /etc/issue mean and customize them as you see fit.

Well, /etc/issue isn't part of the kernel package so no it wouldn't change.  Different kernels can have the exact same .config file and still give different results depending on how the system in is configured to use them.  The reason Funtoo defaults to the Debian kernel is because it "just works" for everyone.  If you use a different kernel you will need to do more work if you want everything to run as smoothly.  If you don't want to chase after this problem just edit /etc/issue and change \O to \o and I think most things will still work OK.

I solve that issue, it wasn't hostname problem, I went int Device drivers > graphic driver > <M> Nouveau (nvidia) card. with this option xserver satrt normally, but mouse doesn't work. So I go in input device section and sett everytthing, but still not work. I don't if it is a building phase probel. I have 3 kernel debian-sources-4.9.168, this one is working, gentoo sources with no moving mouse and debian sources-4.9.130. this last kernel worked perfectly before build it with genkernel. On my other pc, a laptop, I often do these build operation and never had a problem.

I can see how that could be the case.  Portage does a lot when it builds the kernel and if you didn't do all the same steps it does your results will be different.  Genkernel isn't going to do any more than it is explicitly told to do.  I don't enough information about your setup to give a better answer.  In the meantime I would suggest you boot into your working debian-sources-lts kernel, get a list of all the loaded modules and then reboot into your new kernel and get a listing of all the loaded modules and compare the two lists.  That way you will at least know what needs to be loaded and if you can not fix it out right at least you can find a work around.