funtoo forums
senyai

Support GeForce 8600 GTS

Question

Hi! I have GeForce 8600 GTS video card and use nvidia-drivers package. The issue is that nvidia-drivers support kernels up to 14.18, and the funtoo kernel is 4.19.9. I tried xf86-video-nouveau, but the driver freezes for me. Could funtoo update portage sys-kernel/gentoo-sources, so my system would be up to date? Currently `emerge -a sys-kernel/gentoo-sources` only gives me gentoo-sources-4.14.80.

2 answers to this question

Did you add

VIDEO_CARDS="nouveau" 

to /etc/portage/make.conf

then run

emerge -avuDN @world 

This activates xll-base/xorg-drivers meta package which installs other required drivers automatically.

nokit/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources 1.3-release branch shows gentoo-sources-4.19.1

rj@funtoo ~ $ emerge -pv gentoo-sources

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.19.1:4.19.1::nokit  USE="-build -experimental -symlink" 100,731 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 new), Size of downloads: 100,731 KiB

To install a specific version of gentoo-sourcesĀ  set a package.mask for versions greater than >

funtoo /home/rj # echo ">sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.18.18-r1" >> /etc/portage/package.mask/gentoo-sources
funtoo /home/rj # emerge -pv gentoo-sources

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.18.18-r1:4.18.18-r1::nokit  USE="-build -experimental -symlink" 99,937 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 new), Size of downloads: 99,937 KiB

Reference:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Nouveau

Thanks for your answer, @cardinal. I think I wasn't clear. nouveau drivers work for me, but the OS freezes when I work in the GUI for some time. Tbh I tried nouveau more than two years ago, maybe I should give it another try.

You are right about gentoo-sources, I forgot that I put >=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.15 in the package.mask. I see gentoo portage hasĀ 4.14.101 and funtoo doesn't, which I don't understand why. And I want LTS kernel and not unsupported 4.18.18.

I will try to apply a patch from https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1044509/-patch-solved-kernel-4-19-nothing-works-anymore/ to nvidia drivers for 4.19 kernel. I was lost before, but now I see some directions. Thank you again, I hope it will be fun.