Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

genkernel-next - unable to install /usr/share/genkernel/src

walterw

Question

I am trying to build / install funtoo from a stage 3 tarball using the latest 1.3-release and hitting a snag with kernel compilation.  All other packages (from what I can tell) are being properly fetched to /var/cache/portage/distfiles and installed.  During the kernel compilation (specifically, when generating the initramfs), I'm getting an error:

Could not find source tarball /usr/share/genkernel/src/open-iscsi-2.0-872.tar.gz. Please refetch.

This is occurring for any files that are required for the init such as busybox and open-iscsi (which oddly enough should not be in my init), I manually copied a file there to see that it'd resolve it and it did just resolve that single one, but I don't want to do it piece meal.

Now, the files are in distfiles (/var/cache/portage/distfiles) and I am thinking I can symlink /usr/share/genkernel/src/ to distfiles, but is that required or is there something else broken that is causing this?  I did check the install guide and don't see anything alluding to that.  I also grepped /etc for any such configuration also to no avail.

EDIT:
symlinking /usr/share/genkernel/src to /var/cache/portage/distfiles worked and I was able to install gentoo sources.

Thanks,

Walter

2 answers to this question

Hello Walter,

If you post the full output so all enabled use flags and package versions are known I can give you more info..

open-iscsi-2.0-872.tar.gz is the wrong version.

Enabling USE="iscsi"  on my system for genkernel-next successfully fetch''s open-iscsi-2.0.876_p20180814 and builds genkernel-next-68

rj@funtoo ~ $ sudo USE="iscsi" emerge -av genkernel-next

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] sys-fs/lsscsi-0.30::core-kit  187 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-block/open-isns-0.98::nokit  USE="ssl -debug -libressl -slp -static" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-block/open-iscsi-2.0.876_p20180814:0/0.2::nokit  USE="tcp -debug -infiniband -rdma" 589 KiB
[ebuild  NS    ] app-text/docbook-xml-dtd-4.5-r1:4.5::core-kit [4.1.2-r6:4.1.2::gentoo, 4.2-r2:4.2::gentoo, 4.3-r1:4.3::gentoo, 4.4-r2:4.4::gentoo] 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] app-text/asciidoc-8.6.10::text-kit  USE="-examples -graphviz -highlight -test" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7 -pypy" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 -pypy" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-kernel/genkernel-next-68::nokit  USE="iscsi -cryptsetup -dmraid -gpg -mdadm -plymouth (-selinux)" 0 KiB

Total: 6 packages (5 new, 1 in new slot), Size of downloads: 775 KiB

Emerge should download distfiles to Funtoo default DISTDIR  /var/cache/portage/distfiles

Emerge is looking in /usr/share/genkernel/src on your system.

Hi cardinal,

My distfiles are downloaded to /var/cache/portage/distfiles as best as I can tell and it is installing genkernel-next-68.  I overwrote my logs, so I don't have the original message, but here is my /etc/make.conf (it is automatically generated, so I apologize for all the lines, they're organized by patches):

http_proxy="http://localhost:8118"

CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=x86-64 -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-march=x86-64 -O2 -pipe"
CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx mmxext sse sse2"
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
USE=""
VIDEO_CARDS=""
SANE_BACKENDS=""
LINGUAS=""

# kernel
USE="${USE} symlink -fortran -openmp acpi"

# funtoo-network
USE="${USE} -networkmanager"

# compression
USE="${USE} zlib minizip"

# lvm
USE="${USE} lvm device-mapper"

# permissions
USE="${USE} pam caps filecaps"

# cups
USE="${USE} cups"

# ext4
USE="${USE} ext4"

# luks
USE="${USE} cryptsetup"

# zsh
USE="${USE} zsh-completion"

# english
LINGUAS="${LINGUAS} en"

# compression
USE="${USE} lz4"

I could remove the symlink and uninstall the kernel and try to reproduce it?

Also, for genkernel, I do have a custom init + scripts, so that could be a potential concern, but I also grepped there and do not see anything that'd point to /usr/share/genkernel/src.  The error message was for genkernel-next only and it was after building the kernel and modules.  I think it was during the initramfs phase.

EDIT:

I am building a different system that uses ZFS and as such requires an earlier kernel, interestingly enough, that kernel built just fine along with the initramfs (no error messages about files not being in /usr/share/genkernel/src, and that directory does not exist).  The one that built is: 4.14.80 and the one that wasn't was 4.19.1.  Now, before I upgraded to 1.3-release, the last time I built the other system, it was actually using the 4.20 kernel, so the portage trees must have been different.  Furthermore, the last time I built this system, it was actually using the 4.14.90 kernel.  I'll have to investigate in more detail, maybe that will shed some light onto what is really going on.