Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Tool or cmd to query available kit branches and stabilities?

sibok

Question

Looking at github or playing with git locally one can see kde-kit has the following branches:

• master
  • 1.3-release
  • 5.12-prime

I wonder if it's possible to get that info through ego or any other specific GNU/Funtoo Linux command?

Also I would like to be able to get a description about the existing branches. Right now I'm on kde-kit 5.12 which I think is a bit outdated.

Last, I also wonder how can one know the difference about prime, current and dev stability? Should one be able to understand it through the command's arguments, man page or cmd help? I mean, i run ego kit -v list and it shows a table with a stability column but there's no description about the stability values meaning.

Does anyone know about the right tools or commands to get that kind of info?

Thanks in advanced! ?

8 answers to this question

~ ❯❯❯ ego kit list
  kit                  is active?      branch          stability 
  core-kit             active          1.2-prime       prime          
  core-hw-kit          active          master          current        
  security-kit         active          1.2-prime       prime          
  xorg-kit                             1.17-prime      prime          
                       active          1.19-prime      prime          
                                       1.20-release    dev            
  gnome-kit            active          3.20-prime      prime          
                                       3.26-prime      prime          
  kde-kit              active          5.12-prime      prime          
  media-kit            active          1.2-prime       prime          
  perl-kit             active          5.24-prime      prime          
  python-modules-kit   active          master          current        
  python-kit           active          3.6-prime       prime          
  php-kit              active          master          current        
  java-kit             active          1.2-prime       prime          
  ruby-kit             active          1.2-prime       prime          
  haskell-kit          active          1.2-prime       prime          
  ml-lang-kit          active          1.2-prime       prime          
  lisp-scheme-kit      active          1.2-prime       prime          
  lang-kit             active          1.2-prime       prime          
  llvm-kit             active          1.2-prime       prime          
                                       master          dev            
  dev-kit              active          1.2-prime       prime          
  xfce-kit             active          4.12-prime      prime          
  desktop-kit          active          1.2-prime       prime          
  editors-kit          active          master          current        
  net-kit              active          master          current        
  text-kit             active          master          current        
  science-kit          active          master          current        
  games-kit            active          master          current        
  nokit                active          master          current        

NOTE: This information comes from /etc/ego.conf and meta-repo metadata. After making changes to ego.conf, be sure to run ego sync in so 
  that the individual kit repositories on disk are synchronized with the kit branches shown above.

Hi Palica,

thanks for your time and your answer. Also note if you carefully read the post you'll see I exposed the 3 existing branches for kde-kit which doesn't are not shown by running ego kit -v list|status. Also there's no description about the stability value's meanings. In short, the command yo proposed - which is the same I exposed on the first post - does not resolve any of the exposed questions.

I really appreciate your time but I would like ask for skipping unrelated, nonsense or misguiding replies.

Cheers ?

2 hours ago, sibok said:

Looking at github or playing with git locally one can see kde-kit has the following branches:

• master
  • 1.3-release
  • 5.12-prime

I wonder if it's possible to get that info through ego or any other specific GNU/Funtoo Linux command?

so you looked at github and explored git locally - no sign of ego kit list here. You wonder if there is a way to do it with ego or any funtoo specific command -> ego kit list

1.3-release will show once you switch to 1.3-release in ego.conf

[global]

release = 1.3

the stability tag:

current - tracking gentoo

prime - somehow seen as good for production

anything else - alpha, beta, dev => not good for production if you are not a developer

I'm not losing my time anymore with you.

As said, you didn't read or understood the genuine post. Also you just copied and pasted the command I proposed on the first post which obviously doesn't answer any of the questions set out.

By moving to any kit git repo locally one can git ls-remote (or fetch all branches and check them out) and see what branches exists. But What I would like to know if there's any command to see how many or which branches exists for a given kit repo. Also I would like to query a description/definition for the stability associated to those branches.

Unfortunately none of these can be achieved by ego, AFAIK. ego kit -v list|status doesn't show all the existing branches for a given kit repository. Neither describes it's stability.

As example, you should be able to comprehend kde-kit has 3 git branches which are not shown by ego kit, nor a description for its stability:

ego kit -v list 
/var/git/meta-repo (updated 5 hours 42 minutes ago): 

kit                  is active?      branch          stability 
 kde-kit              active          5.12-prime      prime  

So my questions persists. Is there any way to get this kind of information through system utilities or one should dig into with git commands and then decide which branch suits best reading untrusted sources?

Kind regards,

thank you for your positive and friendly answers.

I explained to you that 1.3-release branches will show up once you switch to 1.3-release, 5.12-prime is there from 1.2-release and master branch is a remnant of 1.0-release (at that time called 1.0-prime)

here are the definitions that are used for kit generation, maybe that will answer your question

https://github.com/funtoo/kit-fixups/blob/master/modules/fixups/foundations.py

there is not a simple way of switching to a different branch of a kit (1.3-release for kde-kit) without actually switching the whole release = all kits to the 1.3-release.

from the user perspective you should edit /etc/ego.conf and add in [global] section release = 1.2 (1.3) and perform ego sync ego will then switch the kit branches for you. There is a reason you cannot see all branches of a kit on a single release as these are untested and will probably not work.

if there are multiple branches supported they are listed in ego kit list output and they can be switched using /etc/ego.conf with a value for example xorg-kit=1.20-release inside [kits] section.

if you want to go your own way (switching a single kit to a different branch that is not supported for a given release) - you will probably not receive any official help from funtoo. (and definitely not from me ? )

Yes, you're right, sometimes I'm a bit rude. I'm really sorry for my attitude. I got the impression you were the kind of troll who does not carefully read the posts and answer with whatever feels like. My apologies ?

The problem about switching to a branch is that one first has to know that branch exists. I was wondering if Funtoo got the right portage/kits/system package tools to deal with packages and these kind of things.

In reallity I'm missing a way to check/list for available/existing sources/branches for kits. Also, get some info like a description to understand why multiple branches exists and which is the one that interests me. Last, I fell useless having a stability column when there's no simple/easy way to understand the meaning of these stability values through system tools or man pages. Back to topic, AFAIK and as I observed on your answers I assume such tools does not exist on Funtoo.

I really thank you for your time and dedication to expose a workaround or a way to achieve what I was looking for eventhough it may look a unordinary.

Also I was wondering how can I know about the existence of the different releases? Would be cool to be able to get this kind of information through reliable sources or system tools. In short, is it safe to move to 1.3 release? Also, you're saying it would be unsafe to switch to kde-kit 1.3-release as long as it is not show by ego kit -v list?

Thanks

13 hours ago, sibok said:

The problem about switching to a branch is that one first has to know that branch exists. I was wondering if Funtoo got the right portage/kits/system package tools to deal with packages and these kind of things.

most of the stuff gets announced https://forums.funtoo.org/forum/5-news-and-announcements/

available are always only the branches that are part of the release. 1.3-release is now release as beta quality. so test it out and report any bugs that you encounter.

some of the branches get named after the release some are named after the version of the software they are incorporating like kde-5.12 gnome-3.26 perl-5.26 python-3.7 ... and others just have many different software and are simply named 1.3-release. there is no other description visible using currently available funtoo tools.

stability can be found here:

https://github.com/funtoo/kit-fixups/blob/master/modules/fixups/foundations.py#L5-L12

class KitStabilityRating(Enum):
	PRIME = 0  # Kit is enterprise-quality
	NEAR_PRIME = 1  # Kit is approaching enterprise-quality
	BETA = 2  # Kit is in beta
	ALPHA = 3  # Kit is in alpha
	DEV = 4  # Kit is newly created and in active development
	CURRENT = 10  # Kit follows Gentoo currrent
	DEPRECATED = 11 # Kit is deprecated/retired

switching to kde-kit from 1.3-release while still on 1.2-release will fail when doing ego sync, but can be done manually (although not recommended and definitely not supported).

You could manually switch to kde-kit from 1.3-release by checking out the appropriate sha hash of the commit as listed here: https://github.com/funtoo/meta-repo/blob/1.3-release/metadata/kit-sha1.json

but this has to be done after every ego sync.