Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Funtoo on Macbook Pro Retina

jubalh

Question

Hi,

Okay first I have to say:

- I have not tried to install it on the macbook yet.

- I have read the Gentoo/Arch/Ubuntu wikis and Forum posts about installing Linux on the macbook.

I wanted to ask:

Did somebody already try to install Funtoo/Gentoo on the Macbook Pro Retina 2012 edition? Any troubles?

And why is it so different to install it on the Macbook than other laptops?

One reason seems to be the non-standard UEFI implementation. But using refind will solve this, yes?

Another was at the beginning the high-resolution display, but I think this is also already solved, correct?

What other reasons are there that it is different to install Linux on it than on other notebooks.

Thanks for your help.

jubalh

3 answers to this question

I have installed funtoo on my 2013 Macbook Air. It took a few extra steps like manually adding an entry into refind.conf which I found here http://croutchie.blogspot.com/2012/12/how-to-install-refind-bootloader-in.html and adopted to my own needs. So far so good. The main problem is broadcom wifi but that is easily fixed if you have an ethernet cord or other source of connecting and emerging broadcom-sta. Other than that I have had zero issues.

I've had running Funtoo quite a time on this laptop. Worked very well. Only thunderbolt hotplug isn't working (will change with kernel 3.17). This is not Linux fault it's how it was implemented by Apple. Meanwhile I've installed ArchLinux for some reason. Here http://iocrunch.com/2014/02/linux-dual-boot-on-mac-with-full-disk-encryption/ you can find some hints e.g. how to install refind. The blog is for ArchLinux but a lot of parts are also true for Funtoo/Gentoo. Also check the ArchLinux wiki which has a lot of hints even if you run any other distribution. But meanwhile most things work out of the box. So if you've manged to partition the disks, install refind, ... most things already done and you can install Funtoo/Gentoo as you usually do.