Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Several problems on KDE-Plasma

bourbon

Question

Hi All,

I am new on Funtoo world and am trying to make my fresh installation suitable for my daily use, I have been following the installation guide but something is wrong here and I don't know how to resolve, these are the small problems am facing right now:

1 - Icons on the bar don't keep the position, all of them (clock, etc.) are on the left side every time I switch on the computer. I have been trying to cancel the ~/.kde but got nothing.

2 - When I minimize an application in the bar (Konsole, etc.) they simply disappear (when going to open again, is a new one, showing the number, like Konsole (1), Konsole (2), etc. sometime are under the new apps opened, for instance: opening Firefox full screen, when closing it the other app opened before and minimized in the bar is on the desktop there).

3 - I have half KDE in Italian language and half in English language (some programs like Dolphin and LibreOffice, full English). I have been downloading "l10n" and settled the suggested files for Italian language solving nothing and I don't see Italian language in the System Settings (only Firefox is full Italian after installing the appropriate file).

4 - System Settings does'nt keep all the settings. For instance, does'nt keep the user data (profile picture, name, etc.).

I don't know which data/output could be useful for you, if needing some, please ask.

Thank you for reading, ciao

Hi, Eduardo :)

Yes please, I see your message on the forum here now. I see also the last one were you telling me is very important to reinstall Grub.

Before seeing it I have been reinstalling the "original" Grub on the system but situation is still the same.

Do we have to think for something else or still needing to try with Grub on pen drive?

I don't know if important to know but the situation about Grub is this one:

- Installed with Linux Mint which is on /dev/sdb2 (Grub installed on /dev/sda)

- Boot partition for Funtoo is the EFI one on /dev/sda2.

GParted output for you here (/dev/sda = Windows and /dev/sdb = Linux):

C6761nC.png

SxgtzJ2.png

Hoping to help me is fun for you Eduardo, if it is stressing no problem we leave it

Big hug

Silvio

Hi, Silvio!

Yes, we'll have to make Funtoo bootable again and for that we will use a pendrive. After you boot with SystemRescueCD you should connect the pendrive (/dev/sdc) and follow these steps, assuming you only have two disks (/dev/sda and /dev/sdb) on your PC:

# mkdir /mnt/funtoo
# mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/funtoo
# mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/funtoo/boot/efi
# cd /mnt/funtoo
# mount -t proc none proc
# mount --rbind /sys sys
# mount --rbind /dev dev
# cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/funtoo/etc/
# env -i HOME=/root TERM=$TERM /bin/chroot . bash -l
# export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"
(chroot) # ego sync
(chroot) # emerge debian-sources
(chroot) # emerge @module-rebuild
(chroot) # grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id="Funtoo Linux [GRUB]" --recheck /dev/sdc
(chroot) # boot-update
(chroot) # exit
# cd /mnt
# umount -lR funtoo
# reboot

After these steps you should start the PC by the pendrive that should not be disconnected. Try this and tell me the result, please.

I'm happy to help and I would love to make everything work again!

Big hug,

Eduardo

Hi Jhan,

I can't give you technical explanation, I can tell you my recent experience with UEFI:
- Having Windows 10 on /dev/sda as first installation I reserved /dev/sdb for Linux,
knowing is correct to have both disk "UEFI" they are like that.
Linux Mint has been the first distro going on /dev/sdb, installation process is
very simple and does'nt ask for boot partition.
First time I have been installing Grub on /dev/sdb thinking that is the correct place
but I experienced that Linux Mint not seen by other distros
(needing to create folder in /root and edit /etc/fstab to get access).
So, at second installation I have been
putting Grub on /dev/sda (being the EFI partition over there) and that problem disappeared.
When installing Linux Calculate, the installer asking for /boot partition and
remembering GParted shows /dev/sda2 as EFI /boot partition I have been assigning it.
Calculate Linux (Gentoo based) works perfectly (still needing to set permissions
properly to manage files stored on Linux Mint but that will be simple to fix, just
needing to work on it, I am sure).
At time of Funtoo's installation I have been trying to install it only on "/" partition,
avoiding /usr etc. and thinking is correct to assign /dev/sda2 as /boot partition, I did it.
Grub reconnaissed Funtoo and booting properly, got problem with SDDM login but solved it
creating a new user,thanking Cafaia's hint.
The big problem am experiencing now, as you know, comes out after a wrong command of mine
affecting the "native" kernel.
I don't know if I have been following the right steps installing CLD and Funtoo, I took
action according with what I understood needing to do.

Ciao

New problem here Eduardo, look:

(chroot) sysresccd / # grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id="Funtoo Linux [GRUB]" --recheck /dev/sdc
bash: grub-install: comando non trovato

Thinking you forgot something, i have been trying with the command below and comes out another problem

(chroot) sysresccd / # emerge grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id="Funtoo Linux [GRUB]" --recheck /dev/sdc
!!! '--target=x86_64-efi' is not a valid package atom.
!!! Please check ebuild(5) for full details.
(chroot) sysresccd / #

:)

(comando non trovato = can't find the command)

Edited by bourbon
Adding data

Hi, Silvio!

The first command is the correct command, the error is because you have not installed in Funtoo the Grub program. Then you will have to do these steps:

# mkdir /mnt/funtoo
# mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/funtoo
# mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/funtoo/boot/efi
# cd /mnt/funtoo
# mount -t proc none proc
# mount --rbind /sys sys
# mount --rbind /dev dev
# cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/funtoo/etc/
# env -i HOME=/root TERM=$TERM /bin/chroot . bash -l
# export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"
(chroot) # ego sync
(chroot) # emerge debian-sources
(chroot) # emerge grub
(chroot) # grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id="Funtoo Linux [GRUB]" --recheck /dev/sdc
(chroot) # boot-update
(chroot) # exit
# cd /mnt
# umount -lR funtoo
# reboot

I put it more: "emerge grub". I believe that if you follow this you will have a bootable system.

Big hug,

Eduardo

Ok :) Am starting again with the command

#emerge grub

After that, I will give

(chroot) # boot-update
(chroot) # exit
# cd /mnt
# umount -lR funtoo
# reboot

Suppose is correct, I was still in chroot

:)

My dear Eduardo, better if we laughing here, look:

(chroot) sysresccd / #  grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id="Funtoo Linux [GRUB]" --recheck /dev/sdc
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
grub-install: error: /boot doesn't look like an EFI partition.
(chroot) sysresccd / #

I don't know if I have to go to sleep or to try something here lol

Big hug

Silvio

Edited by bourbon
Edit skypped

Hi Jhan,

Yes, looking at it now with "fresh mind" I get your point; yesterday I was just following Cafaia's instructions without checking on it, he is very experienced and I am a noob.

Anyway, has been too much, I got annoyed and removed Funtoo. Maybe I will install it again later.

Best regards

Silvio