Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

How does one unmask a package or add/delete keywords from a package?

xsilentmurmurx

Question

Hello all

I used to play around with Gentoo like 8 years ago so my knowledge of all of this is rusty, but how does one  unmask a package or add/remove keywords from it? For example, I am trying to emerge xfce4-meta but I ran into this error:

# emerge -av xfce4-meta

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=sys-devel/automake-1.16:1.16".
(dependency required by "sys-apps/vbetool-1.1::nokit" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "sys-power/pm-utils-1.4.1-r7::core-kit[amd64,-video_cards_intel]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "sys-power/upower-0.99.3-r1::gnome-kit[deprecated]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "xfce-base/xfce4-settings-4.13.1::xfce-kit[upower]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "xfce-base/xfce4-meta-4.12::xfce-kit" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "xfce4-meta" [argument])

In my old Gentoo days, I used to unmask automake so I could pull in the latest versions of it (I believe this is what I used to do ) but with Funtoo I am at totally lost when it comes to how to resolve these emerge errors.  Also, I was previously told in another post that if I was to emerge the latest version of LVM2, with out keywords, I will not run into the Openrc Init scripts to runlevels problem.  How do I go about emerging LVM2 with out keywords?  Are there any articles on this site that explain how to do these things?  Also, how relevant are Gentoo's articles to Funtoo?

Thank you for all of your help!

5 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, Oleg Vinichenko said:

this particular problem should be fixed with update.

most of management such as masks, unmasks, keywords should be just about the same as in Gentoo.

thank you for your reply. I actually got this error after I did a full update of my system.   Also, where and what files should I edit for unmasking and masking files and adding/removing keywords?