Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

ZFS Install Problems with current portage

bpaddock

Question

I am trying to bring up a system with ZFS following https://www.funtoo.org/ZFS_Install_Guide

I'm having trouble booting. at the completion of the steps in the Guide.

# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

None of the 'initramfs-genkernel-XXXX' are being found that were build with the --zfs flag.  The Guide indicates these  initramfs-genkernel's should be the ones found in its example output.
grub-mkconfig is finding the normal initramfs-debian-sources-XXXX and kernel files and these were not build with the --zfs flag to my knowledge.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening and how to fix it?  

If I force a menu entry in /etc/grub.d/40_custom that uses initramfs-genkernel-XXXX the system will boot until it reaches the point where it tries to import the pools.
Gives error cannot import 'rpool' no such pool or dataset destroy and re-create the pool...

Yet if I go to the grub shell and do a zpool import rpool is found. 
What is going on here?

I think something is broken as when emerging zfs, zfs-0.7.3 and and a new grub were pulled in.
Has anyone gotten zfs install to work with the *current* portage?
I know it worked in the past, doesn't seem to be working now.

4 answers to this question

the wiki is open, please, correct.

the kernel update has to be performed manually with recreation of new initramfs with --zfs argument. This applies for both: kernel update or zfs tools update. This is reflected in wiki. Please, post what exact stage3 you used (with date of stage), so that's it's possible to check what ego version included.

11 hours ago, Oleg Vinichenko said:

the wiki is open, please, correct.

the kernel update has to be performed manually with recreation of new initramfs with --zfs argument. This applies for both: kernel update or zfs tools update. This is reflected in wiki. Please, post what exact stage3 you used (with date of stage), so that's it's possible to check what ego version included.

I edited my question above to the current state of things.
I have tried, NUMEROUS times, following the ZFS install guide line by line only changing the disk-ids .
I used the stage3 via wget as the wiki instructed.  I got a fresh one today at about 11AM EST.
I know the wiki instructions worked in the past last time I installed my system, sometime ago.

I believe something is not correct with with the state of portage, I don't know what.
The current combination of zfs-0.7.3, grub and genkernal are not playing well together.