Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Power controls on sddm screen doesn't show up on first start

mortenlj

Question

I'm installing a new machine, testing out ansible on a virtualbox before trying to apply the same setup to a real computer. The process has already spawned one thread (https://forums.funtoo.org/topic/1368-cant-get-a-session-when-using-sddm-and-xfce4-on-new-installation/), but I have another problem that I don't think is related to the problem in that thread.

When sddm first starts, I get the user selector, and clock and other things, but no power controls. This means it's impossible to restart or shutdown from the sddm screen, which is somewhat annoying.

Strangely enough, if I log in on the console, and run `eselect rc restart xdm`, sddm is restarted, and now suddenly I have power controls in the upper right corner. What gives?

no-power-controls.png

power-controls.png

3 answers to this question

are both problems observed also when starting XFCE4 with startx? I use xfce4/consolekit myself but without any login managers. sddm is known of having weird issues. For me it looks like there is a race condition between xdm/sddm and the consolekit. The latter one supposed to be integrated quite well as current developers of consolekit are xfce developers too.

Try starting with startx to eliminate xdm/sddm as first candidates. make sure to remove xdm from openrc runlevel.

12 minutes ago, Oleg Vinichenko said:

are both problems observed also when starting XFCE4 with startx? I use xfce4/consolekit myself but without any login managers. sddm is known of having weird issues. For me it looks like there is a race condition between xdm/sddm and the consolekit. The latter one supposed to be integrated quite well as current developers of consolekit are xfce developers too.

Try starting with startx to eliminate xdm/sddm as first candidates. make sure to remove xdm from openrc runlevel.

I guess my description was a bit unclear. The problem in this thread is only on the SDDM login screen, it doesn't matter if I try logging in or not. Serves me right for cutting away so much of the screenshots that you can't actually see where it's at. :)

I agree that there seems to be some sort of race condition, but a race with what? What decides if SDDM should present me with options to restart or shutdown? If I know what to wait for, I can look into setting up some dependency in the rc-scripts.

(On the other matter, I can log in on the console and run startxfce4, and that works, but this is a company computer and I'm not allowed to boot into a logged in session)