Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Change to kits and python confusion

dhudson

Question

I was away from pc end of august so I miss the 8-25 news about changing kits and ego bumping

and found workaround with python targets in make.conf which I have seen it as not a good solution.

I have seen this epro update command several times but there is nothing in the docs I found about it.

could someone please explain this command?

thanks

dave

6 answers to this question

• Funtoo Linux Developer

`epro update` updates the contents of the file `/etc/portage/make.profile/parent`. This file contains profiles that determine default useflags, masks, make.conf, ... These profiles depend on the python-kit branch you use and profiles you set with epro.

`epro update` is indeed missing from documentation. You can file an issue on Jira about it.

I'd like to know what 'epro update' does as well.  I've seen it referenced a few times on this forum.  But 'man epro' does not contain any info on the 'update' option.

I'm still wading my way through the change to kits, and it's not clear to me if I need to run 'epro update'.

oh yeah , forgot about this post,

from what I have found from digging around some is still unclear.

Unofficially,

its  used after making changes to /etc/ego.conf

Example

say you wanted to use to python3_6 you put

python-kit = 3.6-prime

into ego.conf

run epro update to make the change permanent

ego sync would make it available to merge

I'm not sure how to go about rebuilding against python3_6 at all.

maybe there will be some news about it at some point.

2 hours ago, pytony said:

`epro update` updates the contents of the file `/etc/portage/make.profile/parent`. This file contains profiles that determine default useflags, masks, make.conf, ... These profiles depend on the python-kit branch you use and profiles you set with epro.

`epro update` is indeed missing from documentation. You can file an issue on Jira about it.

Hey thanks for all the info, and I did see something about that on bugs. but the only other place I saw it documented was my reference above.