Add support to boot-update for multiple initrd images

1 reply to this topic

paddymac

paddymac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

I've been trying to get early boot Intel microcode updating working on my Funtoo install. I have verified with microcode-ctl that I can update my CPU's microcode manually from the command line. However, after following the instructions at https://wiki.gentoo....Intel_microcodeI have been unable to get it working at boot.

Here's an entry from my /etc/boot.conf

"Funtoo - Gentoo 4.8.6 + CK/MuQSS 0.135 + UKSM" { 
       kernel vmlinuz-4.8.6-gentoo-ck6
       initrd /lib/firmware/microcode.cpio initramfs-genkernel-x86-4.8.6-gentoo-ck6
       params += real_root=auto rootfstype=auto
       params += mtrr_reg_cleanup=6
}

and the corresponding section of /boot/grub/grub.cfg

menuentry "Funtoo - Gentoo 4.8.6 + CK/MuQSS 0.135 + UKSM - vmlinuz-4.8.6-gentoo-ck6" { 
 insmod part_msdos
 insmod btrfs
 set root=(hostdisk//dev/sda,msdos1)
 search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set e050f0b2-8494-4e53-a19f-6c57f036cc41
 linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.8.6-gentoo-ck6 rootfstype=auto mtrr_reg_cleanup=6 real_root=/dev/sda1 rootfstype=btrfs
 initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-4.8.6-gentoo-ck6
 set gfxpayload=keep
}

Notice that the "/lib/firmware/microcode.cpio" was removed from the initrd line when grub.cfg was processed by the boot-update utility.

boot-update needs to have support for this added, or some other method for providing the microcode to the kernel at boot should be proposed.

• Otakku likes this

Oleg Vinichenko

Oleg Vinichenko

Staff

• Moderators
  • 380 posts

boot-update has support for multiple initrd's for long time, however it maybe due to microcode doesn't have correct name for initramfs, and is why boot-update missing it.

i.e it has wildcards for init* for this case. if you rename it to initrd-microcode, it could probably work?

www.funtoo.org

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users