Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Can't get sound to work [solved]

moldmaker

Question

I have installed X11 and twm, no desktop environvent, and Firefox to be able to surf the net. I made a file called .asoundrc (like it was mentioned in the Firefox installation), but sound does not work. I have installed pulseaudio and ALSA.

When I play YouTube-videos, I hear a crackling sound from the speakers. I have seen in alsamixer that the volume levels were all set to zero, so I set them to 50% - no effect.

When I do this:

start-pulseaudio-x11

I get

Connection failure: Connection refused
When I do this:
pulseaudio
I get

E: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Failed to connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
E: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Failed to connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
W: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting.
E: [alsa-source-USB Audio] util.c: Failed to connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
E: [alsa-source-USB Audio] util.c: Failed to connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
E: [alsa-sink-ALC889A Analog] util.c: Failed to connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
E: [alsa-sink-ALC889A Analog] util.c: Failed to connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
E: [alsa-source-ALC889A Analog] util.c: Failed to connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
E: [alsa-source-ALC889A Analog] util.c: Failed to connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
E: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: Failed to get D-Bus connection: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-bluez5-discover" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-bluetooth-discover" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
E: [avahi-ml] module-zeroconf-publish.c: avahi_client_new() failed: Daemon not running
E: [pulseaudio] module-console-kit.c: Unable to contact D-Bus system bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound: Failed to connect to socket /run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-console-kit" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
E: [pulseaudio] asyncmsgq.c: Assertion '!a->current' failed at /var/tmp/portage/media-sound/pulseaudio-13.0/work/pulseaudio-13.0/src/pulsecore/asyncmsgq.c:178, function pa_asyncmsgq_get(). Aborting.
Abgebrochen
My system is set to german language, that's why you find some german phrases in the output.

pavucontrol
launches a window that says
Establishing connection to PulseAudio. Please wait...
and nothing happens, unless I hit ctrl-q and get a segmentation fault.
I already deleted the directory ~/.config/pulse - no effect.

The hardware is working, I have sound even on a openSUSE 10.3 installed in 2008 on this machine.
Can someone help me to sort this out?

Mm.

2 answers to this question