Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

flatpak - category not listed /etc/portage/categories

rspartz

Question

I'm trying to install flatpak and I've never used an overlay before. From all that I've searched, I think I'm 'almost there' and it seems the only thing stopping the emerge is

Calculating dependencies |
!!! 'acct-group/flatpak' has a category that is not listed in /etc/portage/categories           ... done!

I don't have a file or a directory in /etc/portage called categories

aragon ~ # emerge -avl dev-util/flatpak-builder sys-apps/flatpak

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

!!! 'acct-group/flatpak' has a category that is not listed in /etc/portage/categories           ... done!
[ebuild  N     ] sys-fs/libostree-2019.4::flatpak-overlay  USE="curl gpg http2 introspection libmount soup -avahi -doc -gnutls -man -openssl -systemd" 1,926 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-apps/xdg-desktop-portal-1.4.2-r1::flatpak-overlay  USE="-doc -geolocation -screencast" 412 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-apps/xdg-desktop-portal-gtk-1.4.0::flatpak-overlay  USE="X -wayland" 344 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-apps/flatpak-1.2.4::flatpak-overlay  USE="gnome gtk introspection policykit -doc -seccomp" 1,140 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-util/flatpak-builder-1.0.9::flatpak-overlay  USE="yaml -doc" 448 KiB

Total: 5 packages (5 new), Size of downloads: 4,268 KiB

!!! The following update has been skipped due to unsatisfied dependencies:

sys-apps/flatpak:0

selected: (sys-apps/flatpak-1.2.4:0/0::flatpak-overlay, ebuild scheduled for merge)
  skipped: (sys-apps/flatpak-1.4.3:0/0::flatpak-overlay, ebuild scheduled for merge) (see unsatisfied dependency below)

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "acct-group/flatpak".
(dependency required by "sys-apps/flatpak-1.4.3::flatpak-overlay" [ebuild])

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] no

I know I'm missing something ..

Thank you!

4 answers to this question

44 minutes ago, rspartz said:

I don't have a file or a directory in /etc/portage called categories

This is a relatively new Gentoo convention.  Gentoo is organizing dedicated users and groups into virtual packages, and to do this, they have created two new categories: acct-user and acct-group.  Packages under these categories are virtual packages that create new Linux users and groups.

The only thing that package does is make sure that the flatpak Linux group exists with a certain hard-coded gid.  You may need to create a local overlay and pull that virtual package from Gentoo.

I ran into this new convention when pulling the latest Emacs from Gentoo.  I eventually pulled in the acct-group package that was needed and declared the two new categories:

https://code.funtoo.org/bitbucket/users/klipkyle/repos/klipkyle-overlay/browse/profiles/categories

Based on the error message, I think you can alternatively declare "custom" categories in /etc/portage/categories.

More info about the specific situation I ran into:

How to create a custom overlay: https://www.funtoo.org/Creating_Your_Own_Overlay

I hope this helps,
--Kyle

Thank you; for pointing me in the right direction -and- for a quick reply! After I learn a bit more about this, I'll post my results back to this post.

Appreciate the help!

update:

I was able to add the gentoo overlay and install the acct-group. That did allow me to install flatpak. But now, with every emerge command I get

aragon ~ # emerge -avl --pretend gnome-software
!!! Repository name or alias 'gentoo', defined for repository 'core-kit', overrides existing alias or repository.

and I wonder if I messed anything up ..

On 10/17/2019 at 7:55 PM, rspartz said:

aragon ~ # emerge -avl --pretend gnome-software
!!! Repository name or alias 'gentoo', defined for repository 'core-kit', overrides existing alias or repository.

Usually, that appears when defining an overlay with a different name than the name contained in the overlay's metadata.  That's a little disturbing that somehow core-kit is involved...

Hm. I had the same issue when installing flatpak using the Gentoo overlay (with local repo) and I solved it simply by creating a file /etc/portage/categories with the contents:

acct-group
acct-user

It just worked, I could install flatpak without any issues as well as updating it normally.