funtoo forums
gumtree.jack

Which SubArch for intel atom

Question

Hi, Im gonna install Funtoo on my intel atom n450 but stable build. And I've a problem because funtoo-stable have only

amd64-k8/   
core2_64/  
generic_64/  

I was reading http://www.funtoo.org/Subarches#64-bit_Intel_Processors and I should take atom_64 but its only in funtoo-current. So what now? Download one of them and change cflag on -march=atom?

7 answers to this question

core2_64 should be a good match for your Atom N450. Otherwise use generic_64.

-march=core2 will give you support for "64-bit extensions, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3 and SSSE3 instruction set support" (see the list of -march options). According to Wikipedia that is a good fit for the Atom N450 (N450 on wikipedia).

Sorry, I missed reading about -march=atom. 

One option is to use the funtoo-current atom_64 stage3 but then set portage to only use funtoo-stable packages.

Follow the install guide and when you get to Configuring your System edit /etc/portage/make.conf so that ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"

(not "~amd64").

This should limit all future package installations to only those that are in the funtoo-stable branch. Of course the packages that come with the stage3 will still be funtoo-current until such time as they are updated to newer funtoo-stable versions.

A second option would be to build a funtoo-stable atom_64 stage3 using Metro

Thanks for advise :)

Like always life isnt simple. Metro seems to be best solution but I have to had funtoo first :) what about funtoo-current with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"? There will be no dependence problem, new packages from current I start cover witch older from stable?