Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Gnome 3.14 doesn't boot (I suspect clutter/EGL/fglrx)

cuchumino

Question

I was thinking this was something I did wrong. But I think this is a greater issue. I did some searching and it seems it's a fglrx & clutter issue. Something to the effect that fglrx doesn't play nice with EGL.

$ gnome-shell

(gnome-shell:23142): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_strsplit: assertion 'string != NULL' failed

(gnome-shell:23142): Clutter-CRITICAL **: Unable to initialize Clutter: The OpenGL version could not be determined

(gnome-shell:23142): mutter-ERROR **: Unable to initialize Clutter.

let me know if you'd like any other additional information. I'm going to switch to radeon and unmerge fglrx, at least to get Gnome running.

I tried to file a bug earlier but the bug website's user server seemed to be down.

9 answers to this question

Did you have this issue in GNOME 3.12?

No I didn't. There was a time, before funtoo got all the openrc stuff sorted, that I couldn't get into gnome, but that was a distrowide thing. I can't remember which version of gnome that was.

I think there was also a moment last year, before the operc issue, where I was having driver issues as well. ATI drivers didn't play nice with gnome. I remember always getting  black screen with gdm, or if I used slim to log into gnome, also getting a black screen. A couple of bugs were fixed, and the black screen stopped, but then there were issues with the windows. They wouldn't update, so it would look like everything was working if you just looked at the desktop, but once you tried to click something in a window, the content within the window wouldn't refresh.

This time around, I'm getting the "oh no! something has gone wrong" screen, and the startup programs I'd want would load up, but there would be no gnome shell, and the windows wouldn't have a frame, so i wouldn't be able to move them around.

Cool! Thanks! Very much appreciated! :)

On another note, I've really gotten the swing of Gnome 3, I thnk they've implemented some changes that make it slightly better to use, and I'm quite comfortable using it for my work and day to day purposes. Would suck to have to shop around for another D.E..

Probably not the issue, but might be worth trying ...

I'm not using Gnome yet, but I do use the ATI drivers (actually using Elementary at the moment, which is based on Gnome). One problem I consistently found is that I would often get odd behavior after certain upgrades. I tracked it down to having an xorg.conf file. Even the one generated by aticonfig causes problems. If I just erase the file, Xorg autodetects everything perfectly - and I have an extra USB wireless keyboard/mouse, a synaptics touchpad, a touchscreen, and a graphics tablet plus an external HDMI monitor (in addition to the laptop's built in screen and keyboard). Thats a lot of devices and they all work fine with no xorg.conf (ok, I actually have a tiny script that tells X that the touchscreen is attached to the built-in screen and not the HDMI - it doesn't know that unless I tell it).

You might want to try saving your xorg.conf file so that Xorg doesn't see it and see if that fixes your 3D problem which could in-turn fix gnome. Otherwise .. I have a hammer so this looks like a nail :) I don't know what else you could try.