Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Upgrade from 1.2 to 1.4

mortenlj

Question

I'm still on 1.2, because of the issue with Steam and games in 1.3. I see now that 1.4 looks like it is released (on www.funtoo.org it looks like it is released, but there is no release announcement here on the forums?), with solutions to running Steam, so I'm thinking it's time to upgrade.

Is it possible to jump directly from 1.2 to 1.4, or would that cause all sorts of weird problems? I guess doing 1.2->1.3 first, then 1.3->1.4 is the safest option, but since upgrades often require building "everything" and I have limited computer time each day, doing it that way is going to add at least a day or maybe more to my upgrade process, with a potentially unusable system until the process is completed. 

1 answer to this question

I would tend to agree that if you're doing an upgrade from 1.2 to 1.4, I would do 1.3 first since there are so many changes in 1.3.

That said, I would not reinstall X at the end of the 1.3 update but go ahead and do the 1.4 update first and make sure your video card related mix-ins are all set before reinstalling X.