Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

can't install steam

synteejol

Question

I was trying to install steam but I obtain some errors.
Using layman and
anyc's Steam repository I obtain this is the error:

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=sys-devel/gcc-4.6.0[multilib]" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- sys-devel/gcc-8.2.1-r5::core-kit (masked by: missing keyword)

(dependency required by "games-util/steam-launcher-1.0.0.59-r3::steam-overlay[amd64]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "games-util/steam-launcher" [argument])

I also tried to download steam from repo.steampowered.com extract files and run ./steam and got this error:

Couldn't find dpkg, please update steamdeps for your distribution.
Running Steam on funtoo intel64-ivybridge-2019-05-08 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Pins up-to-date!
/home/carmelo/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 828: /home/carmelo/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/run.sh: No such file or directory
Error: You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run:
libc.so.6
/home/carmelo/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 888: /home/carmelo/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam: No such file or directory

I followed this wiki https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Steam. Since package.use is a file I added the lines in the wiki in this file instead of create /etc/portage/package.use/steam

3 answers to this question

I solve a porblem but here is another problem when I do emerge --ask games-util/steam-launcher

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy ">=sys-devel/gcc-4.6.0[multilib]
(dependency required by "games-util/steam-launcher-1.0.0.59-r3::steam-overlay[amd64]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "games-util/steam-launcher" [argument])

I can-t figure out how to solve, pls help me if u can

I think you are fighting a lost cause trying to install Steam in the 1.3 release of Funtoo.  A simple search of the forums and/or Google will reveal that Steam requires 32-bit libraries and Funtoo 1.3 has dropped 32-bit support. 

I know it's not the answer you want but this is Funtoo for now.  Perhaps you can do what others have done and use flatpak, but I don't know anything about that besides it's name.

Thank you lazlo.vii,  yours was the best answer I could receive. I thought I could install it because in bentoo steam is present present and works fine. Some time ago I saw a video of someone playing dota2 on funtoo. I wanted to do the same. As you guessed I know nothing about flatpak beside it's name. I'll be read something about it. Thank you again.