Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

How to route the traffic from wifi interface wlan0 to eth0

john123

Question

Hello

I managed to do this with NetworkManager, and it is quite simple,

now I would like to do it manually on Funtoo, without NM,

can someone point me to how to configure that?

edit:

I don't want to configure that at boot time,  i would write some script to start that manually latter ,

just can't find which files to edit. And still not sure how.

3 answers to this question

If you can tell us what you are trying to do exactly it could help us give you the best answer.  If you want to run a wireless access point there is software that can help with that, like hostapd.  If you just want a simple bridge to play with you could take a look at https://www.funtoo.org/Networking just don't add any bridge you create to a run level with rc-update and it will only start when you start it.

As with anything in Linux there are going to be a lot of ways to do it but really the best way is going to depend on what you are trying to do and why.

Hi,

Thanks for the answer,  I'm still learning this networking stuff.

I have wifi router and usb wifi card which doesn't have AP support, wifi card is connected to internet, and router is for local, as AP.
Now I'm sending traffic from wlan0 interface to wifi router which is connected on eth0.

I 'll try to create a bridge setup.
Just in this case eth0 should be the slave or wlan0?

I did this a while back to set up an AP with hostapd:

/etc/conf.d $ cat net.brwlan
template="bridge"
ipaddr="192.168.0.201/24"
gateway="192.168.0.1"
nameserver="192.168.0.1"
slaves="net.eth0 net.wlan0"
stp="on"
forwarding=1

with

/etc/conf.d $ cat net.eth0
template="interface-noip"

and

/etc/conf.d $ cat net.wlan0

template="interface-noip"[/code]

Now, since you already have an AP I think you could configure net.brwlan to connect to the AP but to be honest I don't know much about it since that is not documented in the networking guide.  NetworkManager seems to be the only official way to connect to an AP in Funtoo.  If I had to do it I would start with reading up on wpa_supplicant and try to write a bash script to bring the bridge up and and then connect to the AP. 

Or, I would try to let NetworkManager manage the wifi and then attempt to get my box to just act as a router with no bridging of NICs at all.  I don't have a lot of faith in NW though.  Unless it has improved greatly in the past 5 years I think it would just get in the way.  Have a look at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Home_router

It might give you some ideas.

With luck someone that knows the Funtoo networking scripts more intimately than I do can give you a better answer.