funtoo forums
erikr

Server with ECC

Question

I am planning to upgrade my good old server that has been around for some time now. Mostly it is a NAS with 4*4TB disks in a BTRFS RAID 10 array for now. I have since logn used both ZFS and BTRFS and regardless of choice it seems to be a consensus that one shall use ECC memory to prevent that the calculated check sums are faulty.

I have non-ecc today and I have experienced degradation of the content.

ECC is new territory for me and I have a few questions;

1. On my desk is a ASUS Prime X370-PRO mother board. The specs say "DDR4 ECC or NON-ECC memory, unbufferd". While check out some other gaming boards it is more clear that "sure, use ECC or non-ECC as you please - we will not use the ECC-function anyway". Are there anyone that can confirm if ECC will be enabled given that I use compatible ECC me memories?

2. Is there anything particular I need to know to get ECC working? Kernel, use-flags, tools that is to be installed?

3. Is there a way to verify that ECC in fact is in use and operative?

Cheers,
Erik

3 answers to this question

So after some struggle I decided to repurpose the above configuration to something else. Major problems has been instability during load (i.e. mostly emerge) with the AMD-cpu and that although there is ECC-memory installed it will not utilize the ECC-function with this motherboard (verified with Asus support-tech). The answer is that ECC is not supported with this configuration.

Instead I have purchased a second hand Supermicro 6027R-E1R12L based on Intel, with working ECC-functionality and hot-swap-slots for all my disks in the front. My first rack-server - a small step for mankind, an huge leap for Erik. There are 32GB RAM and a single Xeon E5-2660 8 Core cpu. It will basically only serve as a ZFS host on the network.

I've been reading up on this.

It seems ASUS and Asrock have the best ECC support, however (with Asrock sort of in 1st place)...

If you have a amd cpu with integrated graphics, those do not support ECC.

A lot of ryzens' should on a great many ASUS and Asrock boards, or so they advertise.

The other key with it, is you can't use registered memory with those boards.  It has to be "un-registered" or "un-buffered"
Most server memory is registered ECC, so you have to go to crucial.com and lookup some part numbers for "un-registered" or "un-buffered" memory.

Of course this is all just research, no real experience with it.