Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

KDE Pim 17.12 - Failes to add Dav contacts and calendar

erikr

Question

Hi,

I upgraded to kde-kit 5.12 and also installed KDEPIM. There was an obstacle where I needed to remove mysql and install mariadb instead but that seemed to work fine. 

Once installed I can add mail accounts and it seems to work well. Problem is that when I add calendar or address books from my Dav server or OpenExchange (have both) the guide works out, I can find the resources but the result is not added to the list.

I restarted akonadi in a shell to get printouts but nothing in particular there. I started Kontact in a shell to get printouts but nothing there either.

What is my next step?

I have cleared akonadi directory when it failed to work so there shall be no db migration problem I think.

I think of trying out Evolution but there is no address book syn for dav or open exchange. Other options to replace Outlook is few.

Regards,

Erik

4 answers to this question

I am using thunderbird, it has contacts, todo and calendar. I have a nextcloud server that I can sync with all of the mentioned stuff. I don't know if you are interested in trying it out. Let me know if you want more information.

It even has a xmpp chat support that I am also using.

Bit off-topic reply, but I don't use or have experience with KDE.

I am a long time KDE user but have a growing feeling that it is time to look into another desktop environment. I have been around since KDE 3 and every time they refactor I think they lose something. KDE 3 was superior. I am no friend of Gnome 3 and fails to get cinnamon working with 3 monitors in different sizes.

Right now I am updating my XFCE installation and will try out Gnome Evolution as the next step. I realize that despite how much I enjoy developing in Qt most of my programs are using GTK (Firefox, Inkscape, Libreoofice etc etc) and I might as well be able to adjust the settings properly.

Most likely I will make a go for Mate as well, just as a test :)

I thought of Thunderbird but I always considered it a bit clumsy so for now it is plan B.

Naturally I'd like to establish mail and contacts using Dav-clients to sync between my different units. I use this for my business and need to be in sync.

Cheers,

Erik

I am also not a friend of Akonadi that seems to have been problematic since it was introduced. When I develop something I always strive to use standard and simple storage that can be understood without my fancy application. Plain text files or well formatted JSON is my favourite :)