Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

equery 'changes' option

nrc

Question

Is  'equery changes portage' expected to show a changelog as documented in the equery man page?   I get the same error no matter what package I specify:

!!! Fatal error: /usr/portage/sys-apps/portage/ChangeLog does not exist or is unreadable

I don't see ChangeLog files for anything under /usr/portage/sys-apps/.

3 answers to this question

I think there's no Changelog in the portage tree for funtoo, since git used for development see [1] at line 491:

runShell("( cd %s; find -iname ChangeLog -exec rm -f {} \; )" % tree.root )
I'm still in doubt if there's a way to access Changelog for all the ebuilds that come from gentoo.  

[1] https://github.com/funtoo/funtoo-overlay/blob/master/funtoo/scripts/merge_utils.py

So they're deliberately cleaned up.  Is that necessary or were they just viewed as chaff?   Am I wrong in thinking that if they weren't cleaned up they would be pulled down in the git pull and available for equery?

I haven't looked, but from what you got, equery directly looks for the Changelogs in the portage tree, so my guess is the same as yours, I'm not aware if equery is also forked for Funtoo. but lets see if someone who knows best can give some feedback.