Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

UI language for xfce4 [solved]

moldmaker

Question

I have a freshly installed funtoo system, consisting only of the stage3 tarball, X server and the proprietary nvidia driver. I set the language to german ("de_DE.utf8" for everything when I type "locale") and the keyboard for X to "de". Everything looking fine. I decided to go for xfce4 as my desktop environment, so i installed the meta package. Xfce4 runs just fine, but the UI is in English and there is no possibility th change that in the settings. How can I change it to german?

Mm.

2 answers to this question

After having installed LXDE instead of XFCE, it happens to be that LXDE is also sporting an english UI, however, the windows manager (openbox) is in german, as well as the openbox configuration manager. Just like in XFCE there is no possibilty to change the UI language. I am using LightDM which is in german too.

This is what I get from locale:

LANG=de_DE.utf8
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.utf8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.utf8"
LC_COLLATE=POSIX
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.utf8"
LC_PAPER="de_DE.utf8"
LC_NAME="de_DE.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.utf8"
LC_ALL=

Is there any configuration file I have to edit? Did I miss something else? Are there any packages I forgot to install?

Mm.

I "solved" this problem by starting all over again, using the gnome-tarball instead of the stage3-tarball. Now I have a fully localized system. I did all the same to set the localization with the stage3 as I did now, so I think it should have worked - but it did not.

Mm-