Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

acct-group/plex doesn't exist

aitikin

Question

I'm guessing this is something upstream that Gentoo started and Funtoo hasn't incorporated as of yet, but I'm utilizing jkolo's overlay (primarily for plex-media-server) and, upon attempting an update this morning, I received the following error:

!!! The following update has been skipped due to unsatisfied dependencies:

media-tv/plex-media-server:plexpass

selected: (media-tv/plex-media-server-1.18.4.2171:plexpass/plexpass::jkolo, installed)
  skipped: (media-tv/plex-media-server-1.18.5.2260:plexpass/plexpass::jkolo, ebuild scheduled for merge) (see unsatisfied dependency below)

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "acct-group/plex".
(dependency required by "media-tv/plex-media-server-1.18.5.2260::jkolo" [ebuild])

!!! Problems have been detected with your world file
!!! Please run emaint --check world

!!! Ebuilds for the following packages are either all
!!! masked or don't exist:
media-tv/plex-media-server

running updatedb and then "locate acct-group" yields this:

/var/git/meta-repo/kits/core-kit/eclass/acct-group.eclass

Googling "acct-group/plex" points to an ebuild that appears solely to create a group (which is kind of silly to me, but whatever).  Is this something that will be adjusted in the portage tree in funtoo or should I rewrite the ebuild to ignore it and build my own ebuild going forward?

2 answers to this question

acct-group/* and acct-user/* is a gentoo effort to secure that system users and groups such as man, sshd, sddm etc have a predictable value. sshd shall allways be 22 for example. The problem is called GLEP 81.

Those are introduces quite recently as action to a security report where the old way to create system  users and groups was possible to abuse in harmful purposes. Read more at the gentoo forums: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1099864-highlight-acct.html

I have no clue how funtoo will react on those but I imagine one either have to start patching ebuilds or include them in one of the most basic core kits as they seems to be part of gentoo nowadays.