Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Mask a Package

quantum

Question

Hi to all,

I am trying to mask the package dev-scheme/guile-2.0.11* since gnucash demand dev-scheme/guile-1.8.8.

Unfortently Gnucash does not support dev-scheme/guile-2.0.11* (I adapted the ebuild to check).

After masking the package dev-scheme/guile-2.0.11*

cat /etc/portage/package.mask 

=dev-scheme/guile-2.0.11-r1

Despite the mask of ev-scheme/guile-2.0.11-r, funtoo still try to merge it:

emerge -au @world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB

WARNING: One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a dependency conflict:

dev-scheme/guile:0

(dev-scheme/guile-2.0.11-r1:0/2.0.11::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) conflicts with
    dev-scheme/guile:0/1.8.8[deprecated,nls,regex,threads] required by (dev-scheme/guile-1.8.8-r99:12/12::gentoo, installed)
                    ^^^^^^^^                              

Nothing to merge; quitting.

How could i mask correctly the package =dev-scheme/guile-2.0.11-r1?

10 answers to this question

Here is the result:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB

WARNING: One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a dependency conflict:

(dev-scheme/guile-2.0.11-r1:0/2.0.11::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) conflicts with
    dev-scheme/guile:0/1.8.8[deprecated,nls,regex,threads] required by (dev-scheme/guile-1.8.8-r99:12/12::gentoo, installed)

I'm with the "stable", and i've made an experiment installing gnucash.

When I try to update @world i'm in the same your situation.

But .... is necessary to update guile ? Which ebuilds requires strictly the 2.0.11  ? :wacko:

However, i've emerged gnucash; then emerge @preserved-rebuild (4 ebuilds recompiled with guile 1.8.x).

Making a revdep-rebuild only libreoffice-bin was reinstalled.

in general, if there is a new version of a package, then the system will try to install it, in case there is no conflict.

The question which is still open, is why i can't mask the package guile-2.0.11?

@Sandro, could you please try to mask this package like I did and see if it works?

1. gnucash does support guile2. however ebuild has never changed to enable it. It's possible to fix

2. as long as guile-1.8.8 installed and dev-scheme/guile-1.8.8-r99 installed, portage shouldn't try merging guile-2.0.11.  Its needed to see full emerge output, was it world update? 

3. masking this package not working, because it's unmasked in profiles (unmask overrides masks).

I followed the remark of @Oleg that gnucash ebuild could be adjested to guile2 and it worked.

No i do not see any more:

Before i merged my patched gnucash ebuild I run emerge -auDN --tree @world and i got the same as above.

I think funtoo wanted to build the latest available version of guild (which was 2.0.11-r1 in my case).

Nether the less, I still do not understand why the mask did not work.