funtoo forums
hhhhardware

Funtoo 1.4 - No update to gentoo-sources?

I'm wrapping up my upgrade to Funtoo 1.4 but noticing there has not been an upgrade to the sys-kernel/gentoo-sources. I know debian-sources are Daniels preferred kernel sources but I would have assumed the more recent meta-repo freeze would have pulled in a newer kernel/gentoo-sources than the one I had in Funtoo 1.3.

In the future are the only kernel sources that are going to be updated in the repository going to be debian-sources?

In the future are the only kernel sources that are going to be updated in the repository going to be debian-sources?

See related: https://bugs.funtoo.org/browse/FL-6035

To the best of my knowledge nothing about this has changed in 1.4. Only debian-sources(-lts) are officially supported. Unfortunately, the other sources are not masked despite being unsupported.

I also would prefer synced up-to-date masked gentoo-sources, but we can always PR flora repo to add them. Since its not officially supported it up to the community to maintain them. I made a PR for stables amd64 4.19.x since I'm using it.

I think we can make a mostly automated workflow to PR trivial ebuilds (I mean those that require just a copy-paste from gentoo). Will try to do that on some ebuilds like stable amd64 gentoo-sources, vivaldi and php I'm using.

Yes, it can be a more user friendly approach than masking.

I understand a masked pkg as a package that will fails to install or may break the system. I think it's not relevant for unofficial kernels like gentoo-sources.

I tend to agree. Maybe we mask the other kernels that frankly most users never touch. But it seems best to keep gentoo-sources unmasked, but maybe add a warning to it. WIll see if I can modify an eclass to do this.

I just want to say that gentoo-sources, that is not the LTS version which is currently 4.19 series, is basically mainline and all sorts of bad things can happen or regressions/corruptions/data loss is at a much greater percentage of being introduced. Breakage of nvidia-drivers/modules being a big one. Also you're following a kernel series that *will* be updated at least once a week if not more.Other patchsets have much better hardware support, backporting, bugfixes, and out of tree inclusions that really make the quality of life better all around for a normal linux user. Just my two cents.