funtoo forums

I always prefer make a new installation from stage3 and recompile all with the new gcc 9.1.

I didn't upgrade from 1.3 yet.

44 minutes ago, nigga-china said:

Which overlay do you use to emerge gcc 9.1?

I'm not using overlay to gcc, that is already available on 1.4.

So, upgrade is pretty easy this time around.I will have instructions soon. But you can basically use "standard" upgrade steps. I recommend emerge -1 glibc gcc first, then emerge -auDN @world should generally work. Report any bugs related to upgrade like failed builds because often this can be fixed by tweaking dependencies. Overall the upgrade is MUCH easier than 1.2 -> 1.3.

One trick is to remember to "eselect python set --python3 python3.7" after python-3.7 is emerged to make it default. Also, mesa right now is very picky about USE flags related to video card. For example, if you don't have a card that supports vulkan, you cannot have vulkan in USE. Same with xa and other things that were more "permissible" before.

As of yesterday, I am now happily running gnome 3.32 and it is working perfectly. I would still call things "in beta" but the remaining issues (there is a "reboot doesn't work" issue currently active, due to a missing /run/initctl -> /dev/initctl symlink) should be worked out with minor package updates.