Read the Funtoo Newsletter: Summer 2023 ×

Is it a problem that SysrescCD is now based on Arch Linux?

its1louder

Question

From Version 6, released Feb 2 2019, SysrescCD is based on Arch Linux.  This doesn't necessarily mean we can't still use it as a liveCD or rescue cd in most cases, except I found a corner case where it doesn't work.  I happen to run several systems with encrypted LVM as described here.  I had the root volume on one system that needed an fsck journal repair.  I tried to decrpyt it with the lastest sysresccd and found that the cryptsetup/lvm in the sysresccd 6.0.2 could not see my unencrypted volumes.  I rebooted with the last gentoo based sysresccd, 5.3.2 from Nov 2018 and it worked no problem.  It may be that the arch linux kernel doesn't include as many cipher options the older gentoo based kernel as my partition is encrypted with the twofish-xts-plain64 cipher.

There are some other changes that may make sysresccd less desirable as the default install livecd.  

• no longer fits on an actual CD making the name sort of anachronistic.  I realize most people, myself included, put it on a 1-2GB usb stick instead, but it seems to needlessly foreclose on some older systems.
  • no more 32 bit support.  May not be a problem if funtoo is also dropping 32 bit support.
  • now inits with systemd instead of openrc, not sure if that would matter once chrooted during install, but maybe.  

As time goes on the last gentoo based sysresccd is going to be pretty dated.  Is there a way to engineer metro to build livecds or something?  

3 answers to this question

17 hours ago, its1louder said:

From Version 6, released Feb 2 2019, SysrescCD is based on Arch Linux.  This doesn't necessarily mean we can't still use it as a liveCD or rescue cd in most cases, except I found a corner case where it doesn't work.  I happen to run several systems with encrypted LVM as described here.  I had the root volume on one system that needed an fsck journal repair.  I tried to decrpyt it with the lastest sysresccd and found that the cryptsetup/lvm in the sysresccd 6.0.2 could not see my unencrypted volumes.  I rebooted with the last gentoo based sysresccd, 5.3.2 from Nov 2018 and it worked no problem.  It may be that the arch linux kernel doesn't include as many cipher options the older gentoo based kernel as my partition is encrypted with the twofish-xts-plain64 cipher.

There are some other changes that may make sysresccd less desirable as the default install livecd.  

• no longer fits on an actual CD making the name sort of anachronistic.  I realize most people, myself included, put it on a 1-2GB usb stick instead, but it seems to needlessly foreclose on some older systems.
  • no more 32 bit support.  May not be a problem if funtoo is also dropping 32 bit support.
  • now inits with systemd instead of openrc, not sure if that would matter once chrooted during install, but maybe.  

As time goes on the last gentoo based sysresccd is going to be pretty dated.  Is there a way to engineer metro to build livecds or something?  

Use the Area31 Funtoo livecd -> https://area31.net.br/wiki/LiveCD_oficial

is funtoo 1.3 based, we don't need gentoo based livecd anymore.

thanks for the tips.  The last 5.x sysresc image is not too stale yet, but It is good to find a replacement now.  I also found pentoo because I needed to steal a couple ebuilds from their overlay.  Although it is a catalyst/gentoo based system I saw a symlink in the profiles list that was designed to point to either a *.gentoo or *.funtoo file, didn't investigate further. 

Sorry to report, but you have a major problem there: the link you supply refers to a local file (see the 192.xxx.yyy.zzz IP address range) so it's not available to anyone except yourself. Not very useful for sharing ? You're also advised to translate the download page in English, so people know what it is they're looking at before committing a download.

HTH!