You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-13 17:06:50

selkovjr

Is it possible to mask entire package categories

I never use most of the packages pulled in by the profile I have chosen (and that seems to be true of any profile). I note that many of the packages I want to throw out are arranged in categories, such as:

app-cdr
app-doc
app-office
app-forensics
app-antivirus
mail-client
*games*
net-dialup
net-analyzer
net-firewall

Also, the profile pulls in gnome-extra/gnome-user-docs, which is massive, has massive dependencies of its own and fails to build without errors. All that for nothing, because I have never, ever read any docs locally.

Is it possible to mask all that stuff in a non-blocking way?

#2 2013-09-14 14:52:06

rh1
_Member

Re: Is it possible to mask entire package categories

(and that seems to be true of any profile)

If your using funtoo's profiles I fail to see how all the stuff you mention can be pulled in for all profiles . If you set you 'flavor' to minimal or core it shouldn't pull in a bunch of unneeded stuff.

#3 2013-09-14 14:55:29

rh1
_Member

To answer your question, adding entries like "app-office/*" to /etc/portage/package.mask would mask all packages from that category.

#4 2013-09-17 14:58:56

selkovjr

Thank you rh1, the keyword expressions work for categroies (I vaguely remembered that would be the case, but something went wrong the first time I tried them).

The problem is, there are dependencies between categories that are not easy or impossible to eliminate. So net-dialup and net-firewall can't be removed because now they have core functionality in them. Building a minimal system has become very difficult over the years. The last time I used gentoo (ca. 2005) it wasn't nearly as difficult.

My profile is not minimal though. I need a desktop, so I have:

gentoo:funtoo/1.0/linux-gnu/arch/pure64
gentoo:funtoo/1.0/linux-gnu/build/current
gentoo:funtoo/1.0/linux-gnu/flavor/desktop
gentoo:funtoo/1.0/linux-gnu/mix-ins/gnome

You are right, the profile itself doesn't pull in all the stuff that caused me trouble. By "all profiles" I meant all desktop profiles and mix-ins that i tried, and the problem wasn't there. It is that the ebuilds for gnome and gnome-light pull in too much, including evolution, thunderbird, and what not. I had no success building these massive targets for weeks, thenl I realised that all I needed from gnome was globalmenu, which runs inside gnome-panel. So I masked everything unstable, including a lot of gnome 3 stuff, emerged gnome-panel and it gave me an almost functional gnome 2 system -- except I couldn't build globalmenu in it.

Today I spotted new activity on this thread:

http://bugs.funtoo.org/browse/FL-706

Having sync'd portage, I was able to emerge gnome-light (but not gnome -- that is still blocked by gtkmm, which is out of sync with gtk). Now I have gnome 3 with gnome-shell, but still no idea how to get globalmenu to work (the only existing globalmenu overlay is for gtk2, and it does not work). It is amizing what monstrosities are required to support such apparently simple functionality (ore are there for the ride). I stopped taking software for granted.

Board footer