You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-02 00:31:40

lngndvs

After updates, including udev, keyboard and mouse don't work

First, Funtoo is awesome.  I haven't encountered the number of gordion knotted updates I have seen in Gentoo in the past.

However, this one has bitten me, I'm not sure what, and my limited knowledge has not been sufficient to get out.

I am running an HP laptop with an Intel video adaptor.

I have

logged in in single user mode,
   rebuilt xf86-input-keyboard, xf86-input-mouse,
   and (probably mistakenly) added a line to /etc/make.conf with  'INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"'
   rebuilt udev
   rebuilt systemd

The problem persists.

Amazingly, the same thing has happened to a more recently installed Bridge Linux system on the same machine, different partition.

I have not been successful in starting wifi in single user mode. 

I will revisit this forum, and try to add more spedific information.  Can anyone recognize something familiar here?

Thank you,

Alan

#2 2013-08-02 06:00:43

pascal50

Re: After updates, including udev, keyboard and mouse don't work

Hello,
Here is mine : INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics keyboard mouse" . It 's from my profile, not from /etc/portage/make.conf . You can read in the output of "emerge --info".
Did you see errors in  /var/log/Xorg.0.log ?

#3 2013-08-02 20:34:23

ryo

hi,

You  misunderstood some things :

... and (probably mistakenly) added a line to /etc/make.conf with  'INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"'

If you're are using a PC with usb { keyboard mouse } you only need evdev as INPUT_DEVICES , add synaptics for a laptop and joystick if you need it =>

INPUT_DEVICES=evdev,synaptics,joystick

rebuilt udev

Okay : you must require udev-171 ( last supported in funtoo )

rebuilt systemd

KO : funtoo does not support systemd and AFAIK never will.
just drop it.

#4 2013-08-03 00:15:27

rh1
_Member

funtoo does not support systemd and AFAIK never will.

Well none of us are fond of it , that's for sure. I certainly don't want it on my system but systemd is required for newest gnome so we're still going to have to do what we can to assist Funtoo users that want Gnome.

#5 2013-08-03 03:12:52

pascal50

Hello,

rh1 wrote:

I certainly don't want it on my system but systemd is required for newest gnome

Did i miss something ? (~amd64)  :

pascal@poste05 ~ $ eix -c systemd
[N] sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration (--): systemd integration files for Gentoo
[N] sys-apps/systemd ((~)206-r1): System and service manager for Linux
[N] sys-apps/systemd-sysv-utils (--): sysvinit compatibility symlinks and manpages
[N] sys-apps/systemd-ui ((~)2): System and service manager for Linux
[N] sys-devel/systemd-sdk (--): Macros and misc files for systemd daemons
Found 5 matches.
pascal@poste05 ~ $ eix -ec gnome
[i] gnome-base/gnome (3.6.2(2.0)@20/02/2013): Meta package for GNOME 3, merge this package to install

#6 2013-08-03 03:16:45

rh1
_Member

#7 2013-08-03 15:56:22

ryo

Well none of us are fond of it , that's for sure. I certainly don't want it on my system but systemd is required for newest gnome so we're still going to have to do what we can to assist Funtoo users that want Gnome.

Oh ... i see.
This is a bad case.I was a 8 years user of gnome. they forced me to drop it when they moved to the new gnome 3.x
I won't regret it , it's getting worse weeks after weeks.

Funtoo people must decide an official statement about systemd case.We'll be soon "alone in the world", most of distros switched already and i'm seeing gentoo people forced to move on too.

Could someone with a running gnome 3.8 write a documentation about how to install ?

#8 2013-08-03 22:51:19

alexpj

ryo,

There are a couple of posts about on how to unmask and install 3.8. This before the gentoo changes started to open it up and it was hard masked on Funtoo.
I trust and respect the core team including drobbins. systemd has a momentum now - everything is being sacrificed for fast boot time, I'm not one who agrees - funtoo is going to find life difficult without systemd.
A statement from the core team on systemd would be helpful.

#9 2013-08-04 08:21:02

angry_vincent
Staff

sorry, but we are not following systemd. no plans yet in future. I fail to understand users that want drastically change init system (yet missing basic units, crashing, raw) just because of gnome update. Yay, gnome-3.8! I want it! systemd, ok, but it is gnome-3.8! Imo, there should be sane level of usage, experience, stability, ergonomics and no submission to developers will. It may give lot of fixes, some improvements, on the other hand it making your system suffer from low level, core changes (init, dbus, kernel, udev).

#10 2013-08-04 22:43:16

alexpj

Thank you angry_vincent most helpful!

Just spent the evening reading about systemd. Looks like I'll have to look for a new DE, as gnome becomes increasingly systemd based, but I am still in the no systemd camp.

Last edited by alexpj (2013-08-05 01:21:29)

#11 2013-08-14 17:09:53

lngndvs

I am the OP.

I failed to resurrect this system.  I can boot the system in single user mode, but have not discovered why the inputs are hosed completely under xorg. 

So here's where I stand:

- I haven't establishes why, after a large number of updates, inputs (keyboard and mouse) are not working in Xorg.
    - I saw something out of the corner of my eye about udev.  I think one of the updates was virtual udev of some kind.
    - Relying on past experience, I re-emerged xf86-input-* , with no effect.
    - Stabbing in the dark, I reinstalled udev, didn't understand, though about virtual-udev
    - Have not been able to establish a connection.  That was managed by (I think) networkmanager.
    - I think I reinstalled systemd, but just another stab in the dark.  A wrong stab, I think.

I might re-install funtoo.  But is there some other path, where I don't have to completely abandon that existing setup? 

Funny thing, I had been using funtoo for more than a month, and I was congratulating myself that I had kept a gentoo-based system up for more than a little while without getting lost in gordian knot of circular dependencies, as I always did with gentoo.   Usually with libkde, etc. 

Then this happened.

Alan

Board footer