You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-25 17:28:57

muzikianz

ZFS File System: At Issue - Features and Limitations in Partitioning?

From the most current ZFS Fun page, I quote the following: "No data healing if used on a single device (corruption can still be detected), workaround if to force a data duplication on the drive"

Does this mean that there is no data healing in an ZFS whole-disk installation, where /dev/sda is used to create zpool,, . . .  instead of /dev/sda2 -or- /dev/sda3 ??

>>>  zpool create -f -o ashift=12 -o cachefile= -O compression=on -m none -R /mnt/funtoo rpool /dev/sda  <<<

If there is no data healing when installing on single device /dev/sda, . . . it should be noted that in using the SLAX ISO, I was stopped cold when entering the swap-zvol command line:

>>> zfs create -o sync=always -o primarycache=metadata -o secondarycache=none -o volblocksize=4K -V 1G rpool/swap <<<

Seemingly, this is due to the fact that, although I followed the partitioning instructions per the new ZFS install guide, I was unable to create swap zvol because the swap partition was not created. Did I get that right? Having expressed this, at this point I am confused as to the correct formatting procedure in ZFS install of Funtoo, in regard to partitioning when faced with all partitioning requirements to reflect:

1. Linux filesystem
2. BIOS boot partition
3. Solaris root
4. Linux swap

Thank you for your time in addressing these issues. Your input is most welcome. -Have a great day!  smile

#2 2013-07-29 16:41:17

404_Error
Core Team Member

Re: ZFS File System: At Issue - Features and Limitations in Partitioning?

1. You have to introduce data redudancy to get data healing (so having multiple disks), ZFS can detect something is wrong because data is checksummed even you use a single device. RAID-Z can do some miracles but it needs a bare minimum smile RAID-Z pools just like their RAID counterparts need several media.

2. Technically speaking it is possible to put swap in a zvolume but your zpool must be acessible at the time the swap space is activated. I do not have a running server with Funtoo under the hand right now to check that point (operations order).  On a server with plenty of free RAM I tend to not add swap, personal choice just to not fight with that kind of details... a server reaching its full capacity is not a good sign.

#3 2013-08-05 18:05:32

muzikianz

Re: ZFS File System: At Issue - Features and Limitations in Partitioning?

Thank you very much for your reply. It is most appreciated. smile

Board footer