You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-01 13:33:53

robert3353

Qestions for a first time user of Funtoo(Solved)

I have some basic newbie questions about installing and using Funtoo.  I have been considering installing Gentoo for quite sometime and just never had made the plunge.  I recently discovered Funtoo and think that I will use this.  I do have a question concerning the available documentation, I have always been impressed by the extensive library of documentation and howto's that Gentoo offers.  In lite of this can the various how to's from the Gentoo Desktop Documentation Resources  be used with Funtoo?  I do not mean the installation of Funtoo but stuff like getting an X server up and running or installation of Nvidia drivers, or the installation of a particular desktop like KDE or Gnome.  The other questions I have deal with decisions that need to be made prior to installation.

Everything that I have read concerning the zfs has been very positive and makes me want to use the file system.  Is there a reason I should not consider doing this for a desktop system or is it only appropriate for a raid?  Is it too complicated for a first time installation of Funtoo?  Are there adequate repair/recovery utilities available for zfs in case of operational issues?

Can the installation of Funtoo or Gentoo be done using a cluster or utilizing Cuda to speed up the compile times for the various software that will be installed from the kernel to individual packages.  Has anyone used or considered using Pelican HPC as a build environment in place of sysrescuecd?

Thanks for any advice
Robert

Last edited by robert3353 (2013-08-01 18:58:49)

#2 2013-08-01 17:16:57

rh1
_Member

Re: Qestions for a first time user of Funtoo(Solved)

I'll answer a few.

Yes, you can pretty much use most Gentoo guides for Funtoo execpt for a few. Install guide is different and Funtoo uses it's own scripts for Networking. Desktop Guides should be fine as everything is pretty much the same execpt for profiles.

ZFS works great thought it can seem to hog memory for it's cache. While it's pretty good at releasing it , there can be a slight delay. Setting arc_max option can help by limiting how much it uses. Plenty of info about that online. I like it cause it has snapshots ans I can use zfs send to backup my entire system to another system while it's running without missing a beat. As far as repair/ recovery If you only using it for a single disk (no mirror or raid) then you'd want to do snapshots every so often and ideally store them on another system just in case.

As far as cluster and cuda, I can't answer that

You can pretty much use any linux system or iso to install with provided it has all the tools you need such as support for file system your going to use, fdisk/gdisk/whatever , ect..
Not sure if Pelican HPC has zfs support though so you'd want to check that if you decide to use zfs.

#3 2013-08-01 18:57:54

robert3353

rh1 wrote:

I'll answer a few.

Yes, you can pretty much use most Gentoo guides for Funtoo execpt for a few. Install guide is different and Funtoo uses it's own scripts for Networking. Desktop Guides should be fine as everything is pretty much the same execpt for profiles.

ZFS works great thought it can seem to hog memory for it's cache. While it's pretty good at releasing it , there can be a slight delay. Setting arc_max option can help by limiting how much it uses. Plenty of info about that online. I like it cause it has snapshots ans I can use zfs send to backup my entire system to another system while it's running without missing a beat. As far as repair/ recovery If you only using it for a single disk (no mirror or raid) then you'd want to do snapshots every so often and ideally store them on another system just in case.

As far as cluster and cuda, I can't answer that

You can pretty much use any linux system or iso to install with provided it has all the tools you need such as support for file system your going to use, fdisk/gdisk/whatever , ect..
Not sure if Pelican HPC has zfs support though so you'd want to check that if you decide to use zfs.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my post, I may not use zfs for my first build of Funtoo will probably stick with one of the tried and true fs for now because I intend on putting it on a Dell Precision m6300 laptop with only 4GB of memory and your info concerning zfs's memory usage would probably be detrimental to system performance.  I am quite certain that Pelican HPC does not support zfs, it is based on Debian and I do not believe that zfs will ever become a part of the Linux kernel due to having an incompatible license and I would be pretty sure they would only be using an approved fs.  There is a way to customize Pelican but unfortunately when I went to their site the developers have stopped maintaining it as of April or May of this year and had a notice at the top of their site looking for someone interested in maintaining the project so I am not certain if they are still maintaining user forums and there would be no one to ask questions.  I am not even sure that running a formal cluster is even necessary, I do know that there is a distributed c compiler under Linux I just cannot remember its exact name, guess I will need to Google it and see if I can come up with the exact name so I can find its man page.  I think the only requirement is that the other systems in the network have to be running Linux and have the same version of certain tools, this distributed compiler would be one for certain.  I have several systems laying around here that could be networked together that if working in parallel would greatly speed things up.  I currently have 3 Dell Precision m6300 Laptops plus a HTPC that I could boot into a live Linux distro, I probably would not want to use my gaming rig because I will probably be playing a game while the system builds.

#4 2013-08-01 20:47:46

rh1
_Member

distcc is what your looking for I believe. I don't see a guide on our wiki but gentoo has one : https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Distcc

Board footer