You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-23 22:04:17

zazz

Steam, abi_x86_32 use flag on xserver & emul-linux-xlibs- 02/24[FIXED]

It seems that steam client metapackage (from the steam overlay) requires a lot of xserver libs to have the "abi_x86_32" use flag.  Okay, no problem.

It seems that some of the steam client dependencies also require emul_linux_x86_* type of libs, including the fglrx drivers with the multilib useflag.  Okay, no problem.

But the problem starts when the up-to-date packages for xserver are in the repository, but emul_linux_x86 packages are old, alongside a stale fglrx driver.  The old emul_linux packages are blocking the new xserver packages, and the steam client (a version older than what's in the repository) keeps giving a warning to update *everything*.

This has persisted across several *weeks* of syncing the portage tree and overlays.

So uhm... where do I go to fix this?

Last edited by zazz (2013-07-27 00:12:58)

#2 2013-07-24 20:08:56

ryo

Re: Steam, abi_x86_32 use flag on xserver & emul-linux-xlibs- 02/24[FIXED]

hi ( and welcome )

I think i understand but i can't see what is your problem.
Give us some data , logs , console output or anything to describe it.

Steam is running fine here on amd64 arch and multilib.

#3 2013-07-27 00:14:48

zazz

Re: Steam, abi_x86_32 use flag on xserver & emul-linux-xlibs- 02/24[FIXED]

It ran fine, I just was not able to update any of the Xorg libraries, or perform a simple 'emerge -NauvD --with-bdeps=y @world'  and instead had to manually update packages *around* xorg by enumerating packages which didn't depend upon it.  But... for some reason, syncing the portage tree resolved the issue today?

Quite literally, the portage output listed emul_linux_x86_20130224 as blocking any update to all of the Xorg libraries without dropping fglrx.  I played around with all the applicable useflags, and found that dropping flash from steam seems to resolve a handful of the several dozen blocks, but the fglrx update is what really resolved it.  Closed source doesn't give us too much room to explore of fully bughunt *sigh*.

Oh, and I couldn't do without the required 'media-libs/libsdl abi_x86_32' - otherwise libsdl would block Steam.  But the repository appears to have updated beyond my issue. .  Yesterday I ran a simple 'emerge world' with no flags and 'emerge --depclean' to try to clear out some mess, at the risk of creating another mess.  'emerge @preserved-rebuild' was necessary for a couple o' packages, but my system has rebooted and functioned well enough otherwise. 

Steam runs; some games still complained about not having bleeding edge drivers, but it performed otherwise flawlessly.

I suspect the difference is the 13.6 Beta version of the ati-drivers package, changing from 13.1, alongside the concurrent steam meta-client update to use such.  Those are both installing now, along with a backlog of un-updated packages.  Cairo libs, image display libs (and therefore programs), and the brand new LibreOffice are all compiling now too, so I've got a lot coming in.

Though, with the trouble, I am tempted to add a '--completegraph' flag to the '-NauvD --with-bdeps=y' make sure I'm not missing anything that needs to be recompiled, added, removed, or whatever else. 

Chalk this one up to the Steam overlay/package updating faster and more reliably than portage's AMD closed-source graphics drivers which met a dependency for Steam.  Whoever pushed the update into the portage tree has my gratitude!

Last edited by zazz (2013-07-27 00:41:48)

Board footer