You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-05 18:37:30

Kasumi_Ninja

Funtoo current vs stable

I see a lot of discussion about current vs stable. I always use stable and put packages such as nvidia-drivers and Firefox in package.keywords. I noticed a lot of users use current therefor I  have a few questions

* Is Funtoo current based on Gentoo unstable?
* Does Funtoo use the same worklow as Debian & Arch? E.g packages are migrated to stable when no problems have been found for a set period of time.
* What are the advantages for running Funtoo current? What are the disadvantages?
* What are the advantages for running Funtoo stable? What are the disadvantages?

#2 2011-07-05 20:28:03

rh1
_Member

Re: Funtoo current vs stable

Funtoo current is based on gentoo unstable but not quite the same. The goal is basically to have current packages but still remain stable and usable in a production enviroment so certain packaes, such as the tool chain ones aren't updated nearly as often and there's an announcement ahead of time when they are being updated. Funtoo also tries to mask or fix broken stuff that does make it into gentoo unstable before it impacts current users. This makes for a much more stable and usable system and shields users from some of the issues that normally come from running ~arch. Of course no one is perfect so issues do arise occasionally but the Funtoo Core Team is usually much more responsive due to having a much smaller team and a BDFL to make the final decision, along with the lack of politics and in fighting that's commonly found in gentoo.

As far as stable, it's pretty much the same as gentoo. Packages are only moved to stable after they've been tested for a while and don't have any issues. The advantage/disadvatage is the same as any distro, stable contains older packages so normally there's not much of a chance you'll hit bugs or have something break but if you need some new program or version, chances are you'll be waiting awhile unless you unmask it.

#3 2011-07-06 16:41:02

drobbins
Head Honcho

rh1 pretty much hit the nail on the head.

One thing is that we keep the toolchains/glibc in funtoo-current and funtoo-stable in sync, so funtoo-current's toolchain/glibc tends to trail behind gentoo, while funtoo-stable's is sometimes ahead of gentoo-stable.

-Daniel

#4 2011-07-06 16:44:00

Kasumi_Ninja

rh1 wrote:

Funtoo current is based on gentoo unstable but not quite the same. The goal is basically to have current packages but still remain stable and usable in a production enviroment so certain packaes, such as the tool chain ones aren't updated nearly as often and there's an announcement ahead of time when they are being updated. Funtoo also tries to mask or fix broken stuff that does make it into gentoo unstable before it impacts current users. This makes for a much more stable and usable system and shields users from some of the issues that normally come from running ~arch.

How does this work? Is there a testing period before packages enter current? Is this a different suite much like Debian experimental?

#5 2011-07-06 17:59:50

rh1
_Member

No, there's not a seperate suite like debian experimental. Both funtoo and gentoo make use of a directory(s)/file(s) in the profiles called package.mask which allows us to add a package to the tree but unless you specifically unmask it, it won't be included in the normal updates. For the packages managed by funtoo, you'll usually see a posting on the mailing list/forums stating that a package has been added for testing. There's no specific time frame for how long every package has to be masked for testing. It kind of depends on what the package it is and what kind of impact it can have. A time frame is usually included in the anouncement. Also keep in mind that not everything is handled by funtoo. We import alot of stuff from gentoo which has it's own rules ( I think, hard to tell sometimes) for how to handle new packages, versions, masking, ect. There's also numorous offical and unofficial overlays for experimental stuff and other packages that just aren't availible in the main tree. For more information, take a look at www.funtoo.org and also check out the documentation on www.gentoo.org

#6 2013-06-20 00:03:43

dwhitese

Is there a trivial way to tell if you've built a computer based on a stable or a current stage? I think I picked funtoo-current. ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is both ~arch and arch, set by the profile/stage, not by make.conf.

Edit: Ahhhhhh, clever. Never mind. `sudo eselect profile list`.

Last edited by dwhitese (2013-06-20 00:12:04)

Board footer